WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since joining this form a few weeks back I've been paying a lot more attention to plastic and rubber than I ever have before.

In fact, I find myself smelling and tasting my 4 G-shocks occasionally and enjoying the feel of the rubber and plastic on my skin...I won't go on. I used to hate plastic watches, now look at me.

It has occured to me that perhaps part of the special appeal of many in the G-shock range is the material. Plastic has been much maligned over the years but it really is one of the great synthetic inventions of the 20th century.

Any thoughts or is this just a bit too weird ?

;-)

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Here we go again.....:roll: :roll: :roll: . Mike Hogan, we need the "Hat" again, please.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
This is the one that Brian has in mind. But I have to agree that the development of plastic as an everyday material is an interesting topic. In my youth, clocks and radios were often made of 'Bakelite', and then the early plastic objects were nasty cheap things. Now we can talk about the 'quality' plastics used in upmarket cars and the tactile quality of plastics used in G-Shocks. Never actually contemplated tasting it though...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tribe, I remember bakelite too...we had a valve radio on the kitchen bench that was about a hundred years old made of bakelite, when I was a kid. I actually worked in the plastics industry for 3 years on my way through university and one factory was still producing bakelite ashtrays in the 80's !
ps by 'tasting' , I just meant a quick discrete lick. But the smell is more telling, each type of plastic has its own distinct odour.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
tribe, I remember bakelite too...we had a valve radio on the kitchen bench that was about a hundred years old made of bakelite
Yes, thank you, kpatt...

:-d

·
Registered
394 Posts
When first bought, I can still smell the "freshness" of the red Antman and the blue TC Frogman, both are pretty distinctive, which I guess will be remembered for years to come:oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts