WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What movements (mechanical) out there use some plastic in the movements? I know the Miyota 8215 and the 7750 have plastic parts. Theodora has a clip in the mainspring barrel. And the 7750 has a plastic bearing I think. Anything else? Not a bad thing, just curious

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
The later Speedmaster uses a delrin level...engineering plastic with many wonderful properties but not much of a looker(esp in this price range)

I believe they have that on model with a SS caseback, correct me if i am mistaken.

many lower price point mechanical watch has plastic ring movement holder(lighter, cheaper and more shock absorbing than SS/Brass I suppose)

·
Registered
536 Posts
The later Speedmaster uses a delrin level...engineering plastic with many wonderful properties but not much of a looker(esp in this price range)

I believe they have that on model with a SS caseback, correct me if i am mistaken.

many lower price point mechanical watch has plastic ring movement holder(lighter, cheaper and more shock absorbing than SS/Brass I suppose)
Something like delrin or acetal is also somewhat self-lubricating and I've read that some companies use it or something similar in their day/date features that aren't moving several times a second.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

you are right, all Speedmaster with 1861 movement have delrin brake. Those with display back (3572, 3573) have caliber 1863 where delrin brake is replaced by steel brake.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
normunds said:
you are right, all Speedmaster with 1861 movement have delrin brake. Those with display back (3572, 3573) have caliber 1863 where delrin brake is replaced by steel brake.
Which, BTW, was a step back in reliability, as use of the chronograph would cause the steel brake to wear down and result in slippage, requiring relatively frequent replacement of the metal brake. The delrin brake lasted much much longer and was more reliable.

From my readings, the Lemania 5100 has several plastic/nylon parts: the reduction gear for the winding mechanism, the day and date wheels, the clutch, and two large half moons around the movement to absorb shocks from the rotor.

·
Premium Member
7,932 Posts
As to 7750 in recent specimens that grey plastic lever that used to be visible just under the winding rotor is no longer there.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As to 7750 in recent specimens that grey plastic lever that used to be visible just under the winding rotor is no longer there.
They still use plastic though. There is a fantastic article on the 7750 on timezone I think. Such a reliable movement I've heard. I gotta get one lol

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I believe it might have been grade specific to the Elabore grade, 'cause I have seen it come and go quite a bit over the years....

·
Banned
668 Posts
Lemania ( movements ) used in NATO watches. Sinn, Tutima etc.
Has a suberb rep. I think I remember it had some G Force potential use
Look that up and you will find a lot more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts