WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A clockmaker friend of mine who served aboard a WWII Destroyer with me has some vintage Omegas. I sent him some pictures of my new Seamaster and told him that I had ordered a new Speedmaster also. He replied to my email and told me that his resident watchmaker (who is 80 years old) has stopped working on Omegas because they have started using plastic parts. All the non-metal parts used on Omegas that I am aware of are the spacing rings and I think that metal ones are used in watches having display backs, but then I am a neophyte. If this is true, then his watchmaker is a purist and hates to see anything synthetic placed into a fine watch. How rumors get started? I would like to send my friend a link to the response for this thread. Jerry

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I dont recall specifically what the part is, but I think there is a nylon type part in some of the Omega's, not sure which ones. Believe me, these days synthetics are better than steel in most cases, just ask the formula one guys. If its in there, it probably cost more than steel or other metal, but probably does the job better than metal.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Some parts are now made from Delrin®, a DuPont resin which self-lubricating properties, great strength and high wear resistance made it particularly interesting for some movement parts.

If I'm not mistaken, the non sapphire-back Speedmaster Professional is currently equipped with a Delrin® brake which, for purely cosmetic reasons, is replaced by its inferior metal predecessor on the more decorated calibre 1863 version.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I understand why he said that, but I think he's missing something. The Delrin (~nylon) brake part in the Cal. 1861 was chosen because it offered superior performance (less friction) over the (brass) metal brake. Greater reliability is always a good thing. I can't think of much besides aesthetics that would be better about the brass version. For the record, Omega made that switch near the time I was born. I'm nearly 30.

Omega still manufactures the Speedmaster with a metal brake (Cal. 1863). It was offered in the recently discontinued 2572.50 model, and is now available in its replacement, the 2573.50.

I think your friend needs to view this as technological improvement: synthetic corundum crystals, synthetic oils, etc.

I'm sure, as a watchmaker, he uses several tools that are partly comprised of nylon.

-Kevin-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts