WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively particular about the little details of my timepieces.

Over the last several weeks, I've been reading about and have become obsessed with the Marathon J-SAR. Just a beautiful piece of steel!

I placed an order on Saturday with CountyComm and added a note to request that they attempt to send me a J-SAR where the second hand lined up with the hash marks on the dial. They refunded my money today with a note telling me that the majority of the time the second hand does not line up and that I likely wouldn't be satisfied with a Marathon quartz watch. (I was pretty shocked)

My question is:
For any of you J-SAR owners out there, does your second hand hit the hashes?

Should I just re-order and take my chances?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow! I've just ordered a Marathon TSAR (changed my mind at the last minute from a JSAR to a TSAR) and I'd be disappointed it the second hand didn't line up with the hash minute-marks :think:

...mine is yet to turn up.

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
With quartz watches it is a crap shoot, most second hands do not line upperfectly with the minute markers. Even if the second hand lines up with some of the markers, it might not line up with others.

My JSAR, however, does line up perfectly.

I can understand why CountyComm doesn't want to get involved with a potentially neverending cycle of shipping/returning in order to find a watch that is perfect in your eyes. This is a great example why it is always nice to have a brick and mortar store you can go to and get "eyes on" before purchase.

HTH

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had two JSARs pass through my hands. Both bought at the same time and one worn by me, the other by my buddy. Neither lined up perfectly. It didn't bother either of us, though when I traded mine (less than a month later cuase I found it just too big) the other party definitly didn't like it... Comes down to personal taste I geuss... Nothing is perfect, yet in this instance, it didn't affect the accuracy of the watch.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I've owned dozens of quartz watches and I don't recall ANY of them hitting the hash marks perfectly! The Seiko Tuna I have now is probably the best I've owned though, it's VERY CLOSE to perfect but not totally perfect. It is a crap shoot as already mentioned IMO, when it comes to quartz watches you just have to overlook this problem and remember that at least it will keep near perfect time!!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I'm just the same with quartz watches, it's a big turn off for me when the second hand does not align with minute/second marks. I had three J-SAR with the crapy ISA MOVT and still has one and they all had a very good average on hitting the marks 95%+ of the time. I just bought a new version J-SAR, for a co-worker, with the newer ETA quartz and I really didn't like the way the second hand was jumping/moved and his was not that good to hit right on. I have 5 quartz watches and I must be lucky because they are all very good on that, so it's possible! The one that were not......are gone!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're definitely right about it being a crap shoot. I have a Victorinox DiveMaster that doesn't line up, but it's not too far off and I have others that hit perfectly.

Almost every JSAR image I've seen appears to hit the hashes. I know that's not entirely accurate with the crystal distortion but I've seen more that seem to line up than don't.

I can understand CountyComm's position I suppose, but I was just very surprised that they didn't even contact me about it other than once they cancelled on the order all together. I sent a follow up email but I haven't heard anything back from them. I still want the watch, but now I'm seriously considering ordering from Broadarrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had two JSARs pass through my hands. Both bought at the same time and one worn by me, the other by my buddy. Neither lined up perfectly. It didn't bother either of us, though when I traded mine (less than a month later cuase I found it just too big) the other party definitly didn't like it... Comes down to personal taste I geuss... Nothing is perfect, yet in this instance, it didn't affect the accuracy of the watch.
I can see that it's a personal preference thing. The way I see it, if for some reason it doesn't work for me, I can sell it here on the forums in a heartbeat! There are always people in the WTB section looking for them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just the same with quartz watches, it's a big turn off for me when the second hand does not align with minute/second marks. I had three J-SAR with the crapy ISA MOVT and still has one and they all had a very good average on hitting the marks 95%+ of the time. I just bought a new version J-SAR, for a co-worker, with the newer ETA quartz and I really didn't like the way the second hand was jumping/moved and his was not that good to hit right on. I have 5 quartz watches and I must be lucky because they are all very good on that, so it's possible! The one that were not......are gone!

Good luck!
Glad I'm not alone in my quest for alignment! I really love the look of this watch and they're pretty bulletproof based on everything I've read. So, if the hands are slightly off, I think I can live with it but maybe I'll luck out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well now that I've just spent 10 minutes staring at my J, I have determined that I'm not hitting 100% spot on. It had never occured to me before but now that I see it I'm OK with it but certainly respect every individual's particular tastes.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Honestly it has never bothered me but I have a PRS-10 that was not hitting the marks and I wanted to swap the hands anyways, I made sure that when I re-installed the hands that the second hand was dead on the 60 second/min mark, now she's perfect, I think I'd rather fix it myself than bother with sending watches back and forth, my 2 pennies...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to post an update to this thread. After lots more reading as well as absolutely no response from CountyComm, I decided not to purchase anything from them...not now and possibly not again in the future.

I also decided I wanted the tritium of the TSAR. Sadly, BroadArrow was sold out. Through another forum thread, I learned of Chris Hooper at The Windy City Watch Collector (Windy City Watch Collector: Vintage Watches, Chronometers & Military Timepieces for Sale). I can't say enough about the exceptional, outstanding response and service I've received from him so far. I ordered my new TSAR this morning and it will be shipping this afternoon. Highly encourage anyone else looking for excellent service to contact Chris for your next timepiece.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Just wanted to post an update to this thread. After lots more reading as well as absolutely no response from CountyComm, I decided not to purchase anything from them...not now and possibly not again in the future.
Even though I knew they didn't ship to Canada, the two times I sent them emails, it was the same results. No answer at all, so it seems to be the way these guys do business. They could at least send a quick email IMO. They do not seems to care to much for their clients, I guess they do sooooo much business that they can afford to respond when they feel like it. I know I will never refer them to nobody, the watch community is a small world...

Anyway, congrats for your new T-SAR, Marathons are not perfect watches, sometimes with QC issues, but they are great and unique watches to own. I love both of my Maratons, hope you enjoy yours too!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Why IS it even high end Quartz' can't hit the markers? Is there nothing even remotely mechanical in the design that makes 12 o clock, 3, 6, 9 all 90 degrees compared to the movement inside the case? I don't get it. I only have a couple quartzes... my Deep Blue lines up pretty good, the Seiko pretty good. The Casio is a joke, it points about halfway between the seconds. It kinda bothers me a tiny bit (again just in the 'Why does this problem even exist??' kinda way) but it's not a deal breaker for me. As yea I enjoy looking at my watches, but in a practical sense when I look at them for their intended purpose, checking the time, it's usually just a glance. And I'm never really watching the second hand either. So the second hand not lining up isn't really something I stare at. It's interesting to hear that this is an issue even in the more expensive quartzes. Even my Fossils of years past lined up good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts