WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Europe and am seeing Sistem51s in the Swatch shops here. To my knowledge I can't buy these yet where I live in the US so one of these would make a pretty cool souvenir.

I am on-board with the technical innovation, or at least difference. Seems like it would be pretty cool to have something that's so different from other cheap (sorry, inexpensive) mechanical movements.

But I can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet. Ideally I'd like one with the red or blue highlights and stitching, because I figure if I'm going to get a cheap plastic fashion watch, I might as well go all the way. But those have lines all over the dial and I find it makes it basically impossible to tell what time it is. Other reviews of the watches have said the same.

So I'm left with the black watch which looks fairly plain, and the dots on the watch face don't make it illegible but they still seem to be fairly distracting.

But then I look down at my Orient Ray which is keeping time to within 1-2 seconds/day, has a spectacular deep blue sunburst dial with polished metal accents on the hands and hour markers and couldn't possibly be easier to read, and it just looks so much better than the Swatch that's covered in dots that I wonder if my $175 would just be wasted on something that I would be mildly annoyed by, end up not wearing, and ultimately regretting?

If they just made one with a solid color (or some regular pattern) on the dial I would have bought one already.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
.....If they just made one with a solid color (or some regular pattern) on the dial I would have bought one already.
Give it time....They'll be all over Swatch stores like a rash eventually...AND in different styles.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
There was a pretty interesting review of the Sistem51 movement posted recently. A watchmaker took it apart and basically slammed it for a variety of reasons. As a souvenir of your trip id say go for it, but it's looks are apparently only skin deep.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,615 Posts
You can wait until they add/update the visual design. Swatch might even make a smaller version, too, for all we know.

How about I remind you of the 90-hour power reserve? That's close to four days off the wrist. It won't take that much wrist time away from your Orient.

I would probably get a black one myself and add a silicone strap to avoid wrecking the leather one.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a pretty interesting review of the Sistem51 movement posted recently. A watchmaker took it apart and basically slammed it for a variety of reasons. As a souvenir of your trip id say go for it, but it's looks are apparently only skin deep.
Yeah, but there was another review (can't find the link right now) by a Rolex tech (?) where he was amazed at the design and how creative/innovative Swatch was re: reducing part count, which is always a good goal in terms of engineering.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Yeah, but there was another review (can't find the link right now) by a Rolex tech (?) where he was amazed at the design and how creative/innovative Swatch was re: reducing part count, which is always a good goal in terms of engineering.
Hmmm didn't catch the one. I'm sure the design has it's merits (I'm no watch maker by any stretch of the imagination), but they mentioned the use of a plastic part in the movement that is pretty much made of metal industry wide (pallet fork I believe).

It's a cool concept, as stated before I'd consider one if the dial wasn't so busy.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Get it..it's an interesting time piece and the review that slammed it? Totally biased..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
i bought mine (black) right when it was available, i gave it some wrist-time, and it is a nice watch. I bought it more from the horological point of view rather than "i liked the look". Due to it's bulky size its relative sensitive to scratches, and the regular automatic ETA movement found in numerous Swatch-automatics is more quiet. If you like it, buy it, it's not like you will have to sell a kidney to be able to pay for it right?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Do you like the designs of the watches or not? If you like them then buy one, if you don't then don't. It's that simple.

A watch could have the greatest technical innovation inside but if you don't like the look of the watch it's a moot point when it comes to buying one.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
First, you can order them online in the US for $150, not sure what the shipping is but I think you will come out cheaper, that is unless you want it as a souvenir. Also, unless you want one of the initial designs for having the first OR you like them wait, there will be more designs as time goes on, Swatch is known for that. The movement is pretty cool, most people that have them like them, the unbiased reviews are quite good for what it is.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hi

I tried one on at the weekend. I like the concept, and the 90 hour power reserve is great! I almost liked the black one, but the design let it down.

Also I had just bought a Tudor Heritage Blue Chrono the day before (and was wearing it), so it was not like I needed another watch right then!

Berni

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Its an interesting concept and they stayed true to the SWATCH look. But for the money, there are better designed and functioning mechanical watch options out there (IMO). I can appreciate it but don't want to spend money to own one.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I think they're cool, and I don't see any reason not to get one if you like the design. Personally, I think they look too much like a Swatch (hardly surprising), so they don't appeal to me. Based purely on aesthetics, I'd much rather have an inexpensive Seiko. But, as a cheap/fun watch with an interesting movement, you can hardly go wrong for the price if you like how they look.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I was very very excited to get it and waited for it to arrive in the States impatiently. The Times square Swatch here in NYC has it now for almost two months. But when I saw it in person, it was just too big and too tall for me:( I like my Swatches a little smaller, thinner... If that doesn't bother you, go for it;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you like the designs of the watches or not? If you like them then buy one, if you don't then don't. It's that simple.

A watch could have the greatest technical innovation inside but if you don't like the look of the watch it's a moot point when it comes to buying one.
Good point. Will wait for one with a solid dial if I get one at all. Europe has other souvenir purchasing opportunities. :)
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I too was eager to take a look at this watch and found that the Swatch store in Waikiki has them while on vacation with the wife. I was disappointed to see it in person. To quote my wife "looks like a cheap toy watch."

1 - 20 of 75 Posts