WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

Registered
I have an omega and a sistem51

Love both
However I own the sistem51 for mainly collection reasons with the history behind it
Love it however!
You can buy in US now as I picked mine up in Atlanta

David E. Benton, Jr.

Registered
Bought one the day it came out in NYC. Wore it for a few days in a row. Sold it within a month. Didn't do much for me in the long run and at some point they will be fairly common if I ever want another.

Registered
Same price gets me a baby monster plus those designs strike me as very polarizing. Had a bunch of swatches when I was like 15, weird designs but then again that appealed to my 15 yo self, not my cup of tea now by a long shot.

I just realized I may have inadvertently fueled the f2 Seiko fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I've got zero interest in the Sistem51. I find the "made by robot" thing only mildly interesting (my cell phone is probably largely assembled the same way, so what?), and I don't see the point of a cheap auto when cheap quartz are everywhere.

But, the biggest problem for me is when will I wear a watch with that styling, and what am leaving in a drawer so I can wear the Sistem51?

Registered
I bought the Sistem51 Blue a few months back (along with the White for my wife) at the Swatch shop in downtown San Francisco. It's a cool looking watch, but honestly it's getting next to zero wrist time on me. (And I have the Orient Ray, too, which while the lowest-$ in my collection gets a disproportionately large amount of wrist time!)

Yes, the Sistem51 is a cool novelty, but it's hard to read and the lume sucks. It just make a nice whizzing sound if you flick your wrist (rotor winding), and I'll probably keep it just as a collector's item, but in hindsight I might not have gotten it and been just as happy.

Fwiw the White version is easier to read and IMHO just looks nicer, though more suitable style for a woman. I always smile when I see my wife wearing hers since she's not a WIS, but just likes how it looks. :)

Premium Member
For what it's worth, this is my video review of the Sistem51:

Registered
In my opinion waste of money. Better to stick with orient and seiko.

Registered
I'm sorry - I just can't. Ask me to convince you to get a Seiko 5, and you'll make my life a lot easier. If you want a swatch, just get the quartz one. It's more worth it.

PS: I'm not just saying this - I'm basing my opinion in this: Review: A trip inside the Swatch Sistem51 / ETA C10111 | Watch Guy

... and the few real life experiences I had with a Sistem51. It's a novelty - a pricey one, let me add.

Registered
I personally think there is a lot of pro-Seiko, anti Swiss bias going on here. The Sistem51 is awesome technology at an affordable price. Comparing it to the Seiko 5 doesn't make any sense.

Registered
I personally think there is a lot of pro-Seiko, anti Swiss bias going on here. The Sistem51 is awesome technology at an affordable price. Comparing it to the Seiko 5 doesn't make any sense.

Agreed. I got one. Hell don't take your family to dinner one weekend and that is the cost of this watch. I have a pasta weekend at home.

Registered

I'm actually highly swiss biased, almost all my collection except for gshock are swiss.

The problem with the system51 is that it will be useless in 5 years or earlier because it can't be serviced. I love swatches and had been wearing them since my teens, I still have 20 year old quartz swatch running well because all they need is battery change. I guess if somebody is just looking for a fashionable wrist band and will throw it away after 5 years, then go for it. Else, a seiko 5 is much more value & long lasting (similar price points).

Premium Member
I'm actually highly swiss biased, almost all my collection except for gshock are swiss.

The problem with the system51 is that it will be useless in 5 years or earlier because it can't be serviced. I love swatches and had been wearing them since my teens, I still have 20 year old quartz swatch running well because all they need is battery change. I guess if somebody is just looking for a fashionable wrist band and will throw it away after 5 years, then go for it. Else, a seiko 5 is much more value & long lasting (similar price points).
Have you ever owned a watch longer than five years that was not serviced? I have. They continue to work, and mostly work well. In fact, I would go so far as to say a watch that is absolutely dry will probably run fine for a decade, even in continuous use, but will have suffered a lot of wear in that time making it expensive to service.

The Sistem 51 is disposable, with the idea that after a decade or more it will be so out of fashion that one would not wear it. After all, it's a Swatch--a "Second Watch"--none of which are intended as heirlooms.

The Seiko 5 is the watch for the guy who wants to give the impression that he has a nice watch but that still only cost him fifty bucks. Sure, it's serviceable, but who would spend a coupla hundred bucks to service a Seiko 5? In reality, they are just as disposable and just as likely to fail as the Sistem 51. But the way the Sistem 51 is made, it does not have all the regulating apparatus and so it is actually more durably regulated--there is no mobile stud carrier or regulator to get jarred out of position if it is knocked about.

The other aspect of the styling of a Seiko 5 is that one who wants a watch that looks like that would never consider a Sistem 51, and one who wants the styling of a Sistem 51 would never give a Seiko 5 a second glance. Thus, offering one as a better choice than the other is like saying that instead of that cheap two-seat hot hatchback, buy this stripped-down minivan instead, because it's a better value.

The Seiko 5 is the correct answer for someone who asks, "I want a cheap mechanical watch. What's a cheap watch that looks like an adult watch?"

The Sistem 51 is the correct answer for someone who asks, "I own 30 watches, and want something that I can wear just for fun when I want to deny the appearance of luxury and act like a kid, but still have a watch that works mechanically."

As the owner of many pin-lever watches back in the day, I can say with some assurance that they never lasted long enough to even need to be serviced. And I was a teenager before the Swatch existed. My suspicion is that Sistem 51 watches that are worn a lot will be destroyed by external damage long before the movement fails from lack of service. But I highly doubt many that are owned by adults will be worn every day.

Rick "they are fun, not fine" Denney

Registered
Hopefully OP didn't spend money on this as a souvenir while in Europe. There are many other things that are better to get. Nothing comes to mind, but even using the money on a nice train ride to an extra country is better than purchasing this.

However, if you are back at home, it makes for an interesting addition to the collection from a certain perspective. I can forsee one in my collection, but not necessarily on my wrist. I think it would sit nicely along Seikos as an example of Swiss affordability, but that's about it.

Registered
Hi,

I will get one. The Swatch does represent a page in the history of the wristwatch. The Sistime51 continues the Swatch story. I think the service issue is a bit of a furphy. There are still plenty of Swatch auto's released in 93 still going. Indeed there was a plastic mechanical watch released in 1971 by Tissot called the IDEA 2001.It had 52 parts. I have one and its still going. It was designed to be self lubricating as the plastics (made from oil)worked in unison. I think they originally retailed for around $12 US but are worth a lot more than that now. Perhaps that will be the same with the Sistime51. Ultimately get it or don't get it but each of us only need to decide if it is a fit in our respective collections.

Image from the interweb.

Regards

21 - 40 of 75 Posts