WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
Interesting assumption and possibly a distillation of what's been bothering me. Because, no, I don't want my watch to "express value."
Hmmm. What do you think I mean by "expressing value"?

And why do you think that is any different than what that Orient expressed to you that persuaded you it was a quality timepiece?

Why do you care to talk about watches on the Internet? Why did you tell me that you owned an Orient Mako, if you don't care what it says about you?

Rick "suggesting some introspection" Denney

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hmmm. What do you think I mean by "expressing value"?

And why do you think that is any different than what that Orient expressed to you that persuaded you it was a quality timepiece?

Why do you care to talk about watches on the Internet? Why did you tell me that you owned an Orient Mako, if you don't care what it says about you?

Rick "suggesting some introspection" Denney
You clearly meant monetary value since the whole quote is "express more value than what they paid."

And with "give the impression" you talk about the price of the watches too.

So you are clearly talking about trying to wear a watch that seems to cost more than it actually does, or at least more than the person paid, anyway.

This doesn't describe me. I think all the watches I've bought have been pretty good values for the money (not exceptional) but whether or not their appearance conveys that to other people, well, that has certainly never been my goal and the idea of people guessing the costs of my watches makes me pretty uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
I can hardly find the words to describe how ugly I find them. Really struggle to understand how so many people don't mind or somehow forgive it cause it's meant to be 'fun' or something. Just awful.
De gustibus non est disputandum, that's all you need to understand.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
OK, so I actually tried on a Sistem51 on Saturday at the Swatch store at Emporium in the CBD. Certainly mixed impressions. The black one is the only nice one IMO - The dial is the best looking and the strap (is it leather? I dunno) is different to the other 3 but in a good way. Very stiff but I'm sure it would wear in. Very tempting price (AU$185 non-negotiable) but in the end it just wore horribly and looked very strange on the wrist. It's too large and flat, leaving big gaps at either end between the case and my wrist, and was sliding all over the place. I could only get it to stay with the dial square on the top of my wrist while cutting off blood circulation to my hand. It's not as terrible as I assumed it was originally, but there were plenty of better looking Swatches to "express myself" with in the store that I would have rather bought. I got a nice little booklet though.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
De gustibus non est disputandum, that's all you need to understand.
Works both ways, so sometimes I feel the need to express it.

"Don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say" does not appeal to me, we'd just be endlessly patting our backs here. So let's respect opinions in either direction.

That watch reminds me of the ski lift pass watches I had a long time ago (as an alternative to holding a ticket near the ski lift ticket reader).

I'll handle one soon to see how they feel in the met....aehm plastic.

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
Works both ways, so sometimes I feel the need to express it.

"Don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say" does not appeal to me, we'd just be endlessly patting our backs here. So let's respect opinions in either direction.

That watch reminds me of the ski lift pass watches I had a long time ago (as an alternative to holding a ticket near the ski lift ticket reader).

I'll handle one soon to see how they feel in the met....aehm plastic.
I have no issue with you expressing how ugly you find the Sistem51, that is your prerogative. However, your struggle to understand how others feel about the watch reflects nothing more than your lack of understanding that taste is subjective, and that was the basis of my comment.

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
You clearly meant monetary value since the whole quote is "express more value than what they paid."

And with "give the impression" you talk about the price of the watches too.

So you are clearly talking about trying to wear a watch that seems to cost more than it actually does, or at least more than the person paid, anyway.

This doesn't describe me. I think all the watches I've bought have been pretty good values for the money (not exceptional) but whether or not their appearance conveys that to other people, well, that has certainly never been my goal and the idea of people guessing the costs of my watches makes me pretty uncomfortable.
I'll try this once more.

I don't care if people think I spent a lot of money, but I do care if they think I have good taste and I do care that they respect my sense of quality, at least in most situations. After all, I care if I have good taste, and I care about quality,so it would be dishonest of me to pretend that others might not care whether I express it (or purposely make a joke of it). I evaluate other people all the time on the basis of the taste and quality they demonstrate (covertly, of course) and I rather doubt that I'm unique, or even particularly evil in doing so. Because I evaluate their expressions of taste and style does not mean that I judge their character on that basis, unless their ability to show good taste is important to our relationship, whatever it is. (I won't accept clothing advice from a suit salesman who can't dress well, etc.) It does not mean I care about their wealth, or whether they are demonstrating wealth--that would be snobbish.

Now, if my idea of good taste and appropriate style for a certain situation requires a metal watch that displays certain visible features (and please do not bring up that shiny $10 drugstore watch that you and I both can distinguish from a quality watch from 50 feet away), then of course I will look for the cheapest way to get those features. If my idea of good taste for a certain situation is gaudy plastic that challenges the notion of visible quality, while still having reasonable quality built in, just as a statement that I can make fun of myself if nothing else, then the Swatch does pretty well there.

I mean, really, why do you wear a watch?

Of course we measure things in dollars--dollars are the only thing the Swatch store accepts in return for the damn thing. If the Swatch was a thousand bucks, you'd have never started this thread. If it was $25, you'd have already bought it without caring whether you ever wore it. But, no, it's right at that price point where you have to question your value relationship in the context of what you would actually wear. You avoided it because it looks too cheap and goofy for what it costs, and you'd be embarassed to have it on your arm. Don't tell me it's not about dollars as a means of funding our desire to express our taste.

Rick "sensing a good dose of self-delusion" Denney

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I gotta give to you Rick, with the graph & all that, I can't match that sooo, ok point taken.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
If it is the type of watch you would wear daily, would you spend that kind of money on a watch?

If it is not the type of watch you would wear daily, would you spend $175 on a souvenir (like a cuckoo clock or a figurine)?

That's how I would've thought through things.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I don't care if people think I spent a lot of money, but I do care if they think I have good taste and I do care that they respect my sense of quality, at least in most situations. After all, I care if I have good taste, and I care about quality,so it would be dishonest of me to pretend that others might not care whether I express it (or purposely make a joke of it). I evaluate other people all the time on the basis of the taste and quality they demonstrate (covertly, of course) and I rather doubt that I'm unique, or even particularly evil in doing so. Because I evaluate their expressions of taste and style does not mean that I judge their character on that basis, unless their ability to show good taste is important to our relationship, whatever it is. (I won't accept clothing advice from a suit salesman who can't dress well, etc.) It does not mean I care about their wealth, or whether they are demonstrating wealth--that would be snobbish.
Yes, yes, all of this is all fine.

My problem is that you've made two comments so far about people trying to buy watches that appear to be more expensive than they actually are. Not everybody does this.

I have a $500 watch. I didn't buy it because I thought it looked like a $1000 watch. I don't want other people to think it's a $1000 watch. If people thought that, I'd feel uncomfortable and correct them. If they think it looks like a $500 watch then that's fine with me, because that's what it is. I don't want the watch to "express value" beyond its actual $500 value and I don't want it to "give the impression" that it cost any more than $500.

If people want to think I must be pretty well off because I have a $500 watch then that's fine with me. If they think I have a good sense of style or that I appreciate high quality products because of the cost of my watch, then great. Sure, why wouldn't I want to give this impression? I'm not being self-delusional at all.

What I object to is the idea that I bought my $500 watch partially (or entirely) because I thought it looked like a $1000 watch and was hoping it would express $1000 to other people and they'd presumably end up with a skewed idea of my net worth and tastes.

·
Registered
18,406 Posts
If it is the type of watch you would wear daily, would you spend that kind of money on a watch?

If it is not the type of watch you would wear daily, would you spend $175 on a souvenir (like a cuckoo clock or a figurine)?

That's how I would've thought through things.
Makes sense.

For me, I've spent three times as much on a watch that became my daily wearer (and for me and my wife, that's still a bunch of money for a singular object).

I also would think carefully about spending that much on a souvenir. However, because of its utility, a watch is hard to beat, especially when compared to trinkets like figurines.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Makes sense.

For me, I've spent three times as much on a watch that became my daily wearer (and for me and my wife, that's still a bunch of money for a singular object).

I also would think carefully about spending that much on a souvenir. However, because of its utility, a watch is hard to beat, especially when compared to trinkets like figurines.
Well then maybe think of it like a shawl, hat, bracelet, or something like that. A wearable souvenir.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have had mine for about one month (blue) and quite like it.. It keeps good time and looks good when worn with t-shirts and shorts. Nice weekend watch for the summer. It's also very comfortable due to it light weight. I think it's size is good for the type of watch it is.. I realise it's not a quality piece but to me it's simple a statement that goes back to the eighties when it's 'look' was conceived. I think it stays true to that original feel and therefore the quality of component s is perhaps not as important. All in all its a fun watch to wear and has a classic look all to its own and does bring a smile to my face when I wear it

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Well, I bought one in Miami earlier this year and have not had a chance to wear it yet. But I would have no problem wearing it daily and to me at $150 it is worth it for the meaning of the movement.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts