WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Unfortunately, I respectfully disagree with this. Is it really appropriate to have sponsors censoring what information users feel like posting?

It's the information age - retailers need to realize this and embrace it, not try to quiet the masses.

I think that giving in to the sponsors request undermines the purpose of an open forum community like this.

:thumbdown:
Your opinion is respected but this 'no specifics' discussion request is not because of any attempt to hush the masses. The dynamics of the industry will result in manufacturers pressuring their sales agents if these specific deals are discussed. Not giving specifics and attaching them to an individual AD gives the ADs more freedom, not less and us buyers bigger discounts (if we try for them). That may be counterintuitive to some but it is actually true.

The ADs who give substantial discounts told us if the discounting levels they give were discussed publicly they would not be able to continue them. That was how this request came into being. I hope that helps explain.

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the additional info.
Hey, you were right. It really is a community forum.

Thanks for your expression of concern. I am sure other people thought the same. You posted. Thanks for that.

Reactions: enricodepaoli

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Well, I am sure I violated this policy when I purchased my AR in March of 2012. I'm sure my violation was due to the jubilation I felt by being able to purchase my watch for the price I did, from an actual AD ( I NEVER thought this was doable). That being said (all excuses aside), I am sorry for breaking this rule of the forum.

The fact of the matter is this - there is nothing stopping individuals from contacting one another via private messages if specifics of a watch purchase are desired.

Thank you, Eeeb, for this policy and I heartily apologize for any rule infractions I may have committed.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Your opinion is respected but this 'no specifics' discussion request is not because of any attempt to hush the masses. The dynamics of the industry will result in manufacturers pressuring their sales agents if these specific deals are discussed. Not giving specifics and attaching them to an individual AD gives the ADs more freedom, not less and us buyers bigger discounts (if we try for them). That may be counterintuitive to some but it is actually true.

The ADs who give substantial discounts told us if the discounting levels they give were discussed publicly they would not be able to continue them. That was how this request came into being. I hope that helps explain.
Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Thanks for clearing it up!

·
Registered
18 Posts

But on the other hand if discount figures are not mentioned then how would future buyers know what to ask for.
Maybe as e.g. the average discount is 25% and since no figures are mentioned, I might close a deal from an AD with 10% discount.

Many people before buying a watch visit several dealers to check the watch, try it on, ask about the price but not many people would make the full price negotiations with several ADs so they can check the final discounts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
lol what a silly rule.... As if the forum cares about the few sponsors, more than the 1000's of forum members, that make this forum what it is.

·
Registered
784 Posts
But on the other hand if discount figures are not mentioned then how would future buyers know what to ask for.
Maybe as e.g. the average discount is 25% and since no figures are mentioned, I might close a deal from an AD with 10% discount.

Many people before buying a watch visit several dealers to check the watch, try it on, ask about the price but not many people would make the full price negotiations with several ADs so they can check the final discounts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Yeah, saving the discounts for the few people that actually know better, at the cost of 99% of the rest of buyers, that don't know better. How altruistic of the AD"s. lol. If people don't know about the deals, then the deals might as well not even exist.

·
Registered
16,955 Posts
lol what a silly rule.... As if the forum cares about the few sponsors, more than the 1000's of forum members, that make this forum what it is.
It's not a matter of "caring", it's being practical. The forum is free to participate for members, but it costs real money to maintain a forum of this size, and it is the sponsors money that actually funds the means to allow the forum to exist.

This is a small compromise, for the larger benefit, and those that want to pursue discounted purchases from AD's, or any other source, are still free to do so - they simply need to ask.

Not publicising the specific amounts, doesn't make the discounts any less attainable.

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's not a matter of "caring", it's being practical. The forum is free to participate for members, but it costs real money to maintain a forum of this size, and it is the sponsors money that actually funds the means to allow the forum to exist.

This is a small compromise, for the larger benefit, and those that want to pursue discounted purchases from AD's, or any other source, are still free to do so - they simply need to ask.

Not publicising the specific amounts, doesn't make the discounts any less attainable.

Your average consumer doesn't even have a clue that AD's give discounts, let alone the 30% or so people are reporting. People assume, that retail price is retail price. As some people in this thread have mentioned, you'd be surprised just who is willing to give you a deal. But dealers don't want people knowing that. Why would they? I sure wouldn't. So, yes, discounts are less attainable in this sense, because people either don't know it's even possible, or if they do know it's possible, have zero clue how much is possible. It starts to get into the territory of knowing the secret phrase, to get into the under ground club. Doesn't make it less attainable, but sure as hell makes it harder for everyone but the ones in the know ;).

I'm a seller as well, lol so trust me when I say, I'm biased towards people NOT knowing I'm willing to make a deal. But I can still be honest in saying what I said.

·
Registered
16,955 Posts
Your average consumer doesn't even have a clue that AD's give discounts, let alone the 30% or so people are reporting. People assume, that retail price is retail price. As some people in this thread have mentioned, you'd be surprised just who is willing to give you a deal. But dealers don't want people knowing that. Why would they? I sure wouldn't. So, yes, discounts are less attainable in this sense, because people either don't know it's even possible, or if they do know it's possible, have zero clue how much is possible. It starts to get into the territory of knowing the secret phrase, to get into the under ground club. Doesn't make it less attainable, but sure as hell makes it harder for everyone but the ones in the know ;).

I'm a seller as well, lol so trust me when I say, I'm biased towards people NOT knowing I'm willing to make a deal. But I can still be honest in saying what I said.
Your "Average consumer" doesn't frequent these forums.

The rule doesn't preclude people from discussing the existence of discounts.
It is commonly and frequently discussed, and certainly not discouraged.

It only requests that we don't discuss the actual amount of the discounts.

As a seller yourself, surely you understand that discounts are discretionary, and the rate of discounts are selectively applied for a whole host of different reasons.

Do you offer the same specific discounts to ALL your customers after having offered once?

Just because a specific discount was offered once to somebody, that doesn't automatically mean that the same discount must be made available to ALL buyers.

If this were the case, then any discount would simply become the new RRP and businesses would need to adjust their profit expectations and mode of business accordingly.

In effect, publicising discounts, could effectively stop their continued ability to offer discounts.

If someone is happy to pay RRP, (or even over RRP), for any item, then why is that a problem?

If they subsequently discover that someone else got a discount, because they asked, or because they shopped around, or because it was clearance stock, because (insert more reasons)... then that's on tbem and hardly the retailers fault.

As a business owner and being responsible for a P&L, I also give discounts where appropriate to do so, but that's something I get to determine based on my business priorities, not something I have to do, or am expected to do.

I've seen my share of people "demanding" discounts that they don't deserve and are not sustainable for my business, and I have even exposed my costs to clients with varying results. Most understand and accept that I need to make a margin to survive, some will expect me to take a loss, and my best clients have enough deep understanding of my business that they will never ask for pricing that is not viable for me.

I have even had a major client, that offered to pay a higher margin than I asked to ensure a high level of ongoing support.

There is nothing wrong with WUS trying to ensure the sustainability of this site, for the benefit of members to enjoy for FREE, by taking on sponsors, and by supporting those sponsors.

They aren't really asking for a lot.
1. Access to possible customers
2. Protection of their margins

If we want to be free of these constraints, then we can move to a subscription model and make contributors pay, or depend on donations to keep the forum going.

There are other forums that function that way.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the FREE access you have to a wonderful community, with great members, great discussions and an enormous amount of information and accept the limited constraints which are really in place for the members long term benefit.

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums

21 - 34 of 34 Posts