WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 180 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Going to do this review a little differently,let me know how you like it::: Squale model "50 Atmos",#1521-026 PVD-Orange...Packaging:Box,signed warranty card,watch head on rubber strap...500m W/R..Size-41.5mm(incl.crown)x ??? ...20mm lug width...Screw down O-ring sealed crown & caseback...Warranty 2 years...MOVEMENT:New Manufacture,ETA 2824-2..Running +9 seconds in the first 28 hours.I hope it slows down a little in the next few days...CASE:Confirmed NOS Vintage case!PVD coated,even & smooth.NO light spots..UNREAL case DESIGN,check the pics(honestly every time I look at the case I see the Jupiter II spaceship from the Original tv series "Lost in Space").Excellent fit of caseback,crown & bezel.Sharply cut & DEEP lugs(lends to the spaceship illusion)...CROWN:Confirmed NOS Vintage!SMALL,almost completely recessed into case!NOT for BIG fingers.My watch has good feedback on the crown with a solid click as the crown frees itself from the threads..It went from date set to time set smoothly & easily with NO cross threading when screwed back in...BEZEL:NEW Manufacture!VERY slightly off center(remember this IS a VINTAGE watch) but I haven't seen much better on today's Micro Brands.SMOOTH turning.60 POSITIVE clicks.Bezel insert could be finished better since this part of the watch IS new manufacture.Pip Lume VERY low...CRYSTAL: New Manufacture!Sapphire(NOT mineral)FLAT,NO A/R coating.CLEAR as a BELL!...DIAL:CONFIRMED NOS VINTAGE!Satin Orange dial is EXACT same shade as the Doxa Sub800Ti that I owned,& I MEAN EXACT!PERFECT,just PERFECT SHADE of ORANGE!Black 1 minute indices & logos look silk screened,NO irregularities or blems. LUME PIPS ARE tritium & have a greyish color that should patina nicely.NOT very bright but functional...DATE WINDOW:Square cut & large enough for me to ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO READ THE DATE WITHOUT A CYCLOPS(Micro Makers take note)!!!HANDS:CONFIRMED NOS VINTAGE!WONDERFULLY different style,unlike any on a production watch today.DIPPED BLACK hands look like they're ready to drip paint on the dial at any moment,BEAUTIFUL work here!STRAP: In my research almost every post POO POO'ed the strap.Well let me tell you,THIS AINT NO NAMBY PAMBY,VANILLA SCENTED,SILICON INJECTED,SOFT AS COTTON strap!This is a GENUINE RUBBER BABY & it locks that watch right where you want it(without having to be tight) & doesn't shift around unless you want it to!When I first pulled the watch out of the box & felt the strap & smelled that wonderful smell I was INSTANTLY reminded of my very first pair of U.S.Divers Rocket fins!!!The feel & smell is excellent & it is quite comfortable(at least to an old dog that remembers REAL rubber) with a design similar to the Hirsch extreme only NOT so Extreme..SIZE COMPARISONS & HOW IT WEARS: The watch is JUST a tad smaller than the Seiko Monster in diameter but it is actually a hair thicker!It has nice heft with VERY good wrist presence & NOT just because of the stunning dial..No sir,thanks to that wonderful case design, the deeply curved lugs & the extra height it wears so close to the feel of the MONSTER (at least to me)I can't tell the difference on the wrist.Also remember this watch is slightly bigger than a Standard Rolex Submariner,the original Breitling SuperOcean 1500m. or the original Breitling Colt watches,how many BIG wrists do you see with those on???So there it is.If you've been on the fence about this watch because of it's size(on paper) & you don't have HUGE wrists(7 1/2-8"MAX) I think you'll be VERY happy with this watch..I am VERY picky about my watches..I LUSTED for a Doxa Orange dive watch with a Rich Dive History(read Doxa).What I got is so much more!What I got is a true vintage design(and that PERFECT shade of O) so unique that many of the worlds most renowned watch manufacturers(including Doxa) sourced it to create some of the finest dive watches we will ever see!!!Mark my words,UNLESS something drastic happens,you will NEVER see this one in the sales forum!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have a bit of a Rube question that pertains to this thread. How does one pronounce Squale?

Squale as in Whale with an Sq at the beginning?

Or Squaw-lay? That sounds more Italian to my ignorant American ear but I am not sure which is correct.

Anyone care to share some knowledge?

RS

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a bit of a Rube question that pertains to this thread. How does one pronounce Squale?

Or Squaw-lay? That sounds more Italian to my ignorant American ear but I am not sure which is correct.

RS
Well, the company is italian, but Squale ain't an italian word (shark in italian is "Squalo"). It should be a french word, swiss horology traditionally speaks french, and the company was originally founded by Von Büren. Although the common french word for shark seem to be "requin", it seems (according to google translator) that also "squale" is a french word for shark. If so, it's Sq- ending like the english word "skull"... or try to use the funcition "hear" on Google translator...

We better need some french forum member here to help us!!:-d

·
Registered
4,823 Posts

RS
I was told by their US distributor that it's Squa-LAY, with the emphasis on the second syllable. That does sound more Italian. I still say Squale as rhymes with whale though. Sounds better to my American ear.-) SqualAY sounds too fru-fru to me.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Thanks guys.

It's nice to know that at least I am not the only person on earth who did not know that answer to this one. I really do feel like a Rube when it comes to pronouncing some of these watch brands. That gives me one more thing to like about Doxa, I was able to pronounce it without help...

I really do like some of the Squale models. If I get one I may have to resort to the fru-fru pronunciation... :)

RS

·
Registered
700 Posts
Be careful, "Squale" is not italian, believe me, i'm italian! I add that this was discussed also in an italian forum, i just had a look to that old thread, and the correct pronunciation is definitively french: meny member there have been calling Squale in Milan and could hear the pronunciation from Squale themselves. It's like "skull" but you need to hear the "u", but not sounding like "you", needs to be like in the end of the word "queue" (sorry, i can't imagine how an english native speaker can interpretate this... try to hear with Google!!).

161 - 180 of 272 Posts