WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Please, educate me about SQUALE

163K views 273 replies 99 participants last post by  Paul in SC 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, here's what I've learned (or think I have learned) so far...

A company named Von Buren started making cases in the 40's or 50's either under the name Squale or together with a company named Squale. These cases were used by other watchmakers who co-branded their watches, e.g. Bentos/Squale.

In the 60's Von Buren (either under the Squale name or together with a company named Squale) started their own line of watches (Squale/Squale), while still supplying cases to others.

Nowadays there is an Italian company called Squale (something, something) who, according to scubawatch.org use NOS cases and modern ETA 2824-2 movements. On their website, squale.ch (note the swiss domain) which is completely in Italian they mention Von Buren and also (though my Italian is extremely limited) that Squale has continued as some kind of subsidiary to military suppliers.

Question 1: Are Von Buren and Squale separate companies?
Question 2: Von Buren sounds German while Squale, as far as I know is italian (meaning shark)?
Question 3: Is it correct that the modern Squale watches are NOS cases with new movements?
Question 4: Does the company behind squale.ch have anyting to do with Von Buren or the old Squale?
Question 5: The military heritage; does it exist?
Question 6: Where has Squale been between say 1975 and 2010?

I would appreciate any thoughts/corrections but, please, don't link to other watchforum threads; I think I've read them all and I'm still non the wiser...

If anyone should happen to know the complete (but comprehensive) history of Squale, please post!

Ola

See less See more
#95 ·
Re: Educate me about SQUALE

Must have completely gone over some heads .... but really what I DON'T GET is why we don't see more stepped bezels, and high-domed crystals, in modern designs. Zixen DSR being the exception at least w/ respect to stepped bezel

Wrong question.
If you want to learn something, as per some on this this forum - your topic should start with-
I DONT GET SQUALE:):):)

#5 ·
Re: Educate me about SQUALE

Thanks for posting these questions.
I picked this up from an Italian dealer and was under the impression it was a vintage. Now I see it available on the Squale site.
So the provenance of Squale is certainly of interest to me, too.

#9 ·
Hey Jay - I think that the atelier was selling old stock until they have the new batch ready to roll. The new ones I believe are just remade using the old cases as a base though I do not think they are available yet - just like the website! All those guys in that thread showing their watches were just the bought up old stock - just like your PVD version. A few were lucky enough to get signed bracelets (be-still my beating heart on valentines day, no less!).

The Squale story will go on and the fact that it is emerging from this second floor atelier in Milan (?) is just so apropos for this enigmatic (and awesome) brand.

#16 ·
Hey Jay - I think that the atelier was selling old stock until they have the new batch ready to roll. The new ones I believe are just remade using the old cases as a base though I do not think they are available yet - just like the website!
Yes, the Squale watches now sold by Squale in Milan are realized using NOS cases, dials and hands, while the eta2824/2 movment and the bezel insert are new production. They are already available, I bought my 50 atmos directly from them in semptember, and so did many italian WISes. Note that Squale sells them at better price than many sellers in e-bay!! They also say a new diver is coming out soon by Squale, but I don't know much more about that.

b-) very nice watches btw

#13 ·
I had never heard of these but saw this and had to have it. As I understand it it has a 2892 movement, the locking bezel push button a la Omega, and is pretty much spot on. Believe it may bearound 20 years old and the lume is quite patinaed and weak. Had to personalize it so had this custom strap made and it is a part of my regular rotation.

Just my bragging, lol.

paul

#15 ·
Hey Aikiman, mine had a polished bezel but it rubbed me the wrong way. Too blingy. So a bit of Scotch pad, a little touch up with a 10 micron strip, and it has just the right amount of dullness. Easy enough to polish it back to its chrome like finish if it ever makes the flip stage but I am not expecting that to happen.

paul

#17 · (Edited)
Question 1: Are Von Buren and Squale separate companies?
Question 2: Von Buren sounds German while Squale, as far as I know is italian (meaning shark)?
Question 3: Is it correct that the modern Squale watches are NOS cases with new movements?
Question 4: Does the company behind squale.ch have anyting to do with Von Buren or the old Squale?
Question 5: The military heritage; does it exist?
Question 6: Where has Squale been between say 1975 and 2010?
Dear Ola, your questions are not easy at all, let's try:

Question 1: As you already stated, Squale web-site says C. Von Büren started out in the '50s producing professional dive watch cases, and later in the '60s he began to sign his watches as 'Squale' on the dial. Actually Squale catalogue says "Squale - since 1946 [edited, 1967 was wrong]". If you notice, the other Squale logo (not the shark at 6, but the other at 12) contains the Von Büren logo, and also the crown is signed Von Büren. All that said, I cannot say if they were the same company in the past, but i'd suppose so.

Question 2: Squale is not the italian for shark (that is "Squalo"), but may be easily a fantasy name based on the italian "squalo".

Question 3: yes, modern Squale watches are NOS cases, NOS tritium dial and hands, and new eta movements and bezel insert. This may vary upon the model. They say a new model is being develoveped now.

Question 4: Maybe it is the same company, maybe they bought their old stock? Some italian WISes visited their laboratory in Milan and it seems they are in the business from ages, so i guess they are just the same Squale of the past. But again, the link with Von Büren is unclear.

Question 5: an old advertising about French MN watches has been seen in Squale's laboratory in Milan. And if you notice, the famous MN's Auricoste Spirotechnique seems to be based on Squale case. The same is for the German's Blancpain Fifty Fathoms "Bund". A fellow italian WIS says that Squale owner actually wears a Blancpain Bund... could this mean something? Squale websites says they were suppliers of the Italian Navy, but I've never seen issued Squale watches, even if do exist Squales divers with Italian military emblems on the dial (I've seen them popping out sometimes on the bay).

Question 6: who knows???

:-s

#27 ·
Re: Please, educate me about SQUALE *off topic*

One of the members has this as their handle:

SPQR :-s

Off topic but have not thought of these intials for many years. My dad studied at the University of Rome and I have an old hat of his that has "Senatus et Quorum de Roma" I believe. In fact my initial attraction to Squale was that they were Italian. And I believe they started as a dive equipment manufacturer so the Dive Watch section of WUS made sense.

Just a little babble from me so bear with me.

Thanks

paul

#28 ·
Re: Please, educate me about SQUALE *off topic*

One of the members has this as their handle:

SPQR :-s

Off topic but have not thought of these intials for many years. My dad studied at the University of Rome and I have an old hat of his that has "Senatus et Quorum de Roma" I believe. In fact my initial attraction to Squale was that they were Italian. And I believe they started as a dive equipment manufacturer so the Dive Watch section of WUS made sense.

Just a little babble from me so bear with me.

Thanks

paul
Paul....different Squale. The equipment mfg is French.

#31 ·
I find this very interesting I was in Italy over x mas wish this topic had come up before I left I'd have visted them. Not to hijack the thread or anything but it seems a nice alternative if you really like the style of this watch is a custom MKII Seafighter, with all the options of hands and dials you can pretty much build it to your liking. I own one and can assure you it's an excellent quality watch and superbly built.

#35 ·
I mean guys it's a nice classic shape for a diver, but is the Squale name really that important? I mean there is a forum sponser doing the exact same case, and offering you the options of customizing the watch (dial, hands, finish), hand assembling it, individually regulating the movement to 6 positions (swiis elabore grade movement), and individually pressure testing each watch for less than $700!!!!

#36 ·
I hear what you're saying Caesar, but I do prefer the Squale. I like the logos and the text on the Squale, compared to the more sterile MKII. I like the history behind the Squale, where MKII has no history (homages). I also think it's cool that the Squale's are built from vintage components(aside from the movement and insert). Plus the Squale's fully indexed bezel works better for me while diving, compared to the MKII's 20 min bezel. For me, the Squale covers more of what I look for in a diver while the MKII just kind of leaves me cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.