WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Pilot watch fans. I have been a member of the overall forum for years but never stepped into this particular forum. I’m mostly a diver watch fan but the bug for a pilot watch has started to bite. I turn to you all for advice and suggestions.
Inside the next few months I plan to purchase my next piece. I’ve somewhat narrowed it down to either a Sinn 104 A St Sa or an IWC Pilots watch Mark XVIII

Now I understand different countries of origin and the price difference but what I need advice on is whether the price difference is noticeable? Is there really nearly $3000 of quality difference between IWC and Sinn? I have never owned a sample of either and have always considered a Sinn a sort of Grail (of course I was at that time looking at a U1) but since he itch has arisen I’ve started looking into IWC and just want advice: will I know where my extra money has gone if I were to go the IWC route?

Sorry if I rambled but thank you in advance for any and all pictures, comparisons, advice and suggestions.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Money to burn can make or break. If money is no object then by all means, the IWC should be at the top of your list. In reality (and looking at it on your wrist), I doubt you'll ever "see" the price difference between them, tho. Both are highly respectible timepieces, and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with either.

· Registered
2,468 Posts
I’d say get the IWC. I had a couple of Sinns. Great watches, but I’d always wanted an IWC and it Sinn was no substitute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terry M.

· Registered
1,903 Posts
Is there really nearly $3000 of quality difference between IWC and Sinn?
No, there is not. The Sinn is certainly the equal if not superior to the IWC in every regard and it's a much better value, making it a better watch purchase overall. I think you would be very pleased with a 104, and think of all the things you could do with the leftover cash. :)

· Banned
2 Posts
Money to burn can make or break. If money is no object then by all means, the IWC should be at the top of your list. In reality (and looking at it on your wrist), I doubt you'll ever "see" the price difference between them, tho. Both are highly respectible timepieces, and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with either.
Money is the most precious part of today’s society. It is that factor with the help of which we are growing the human civilization as well as getting progress in other fields too. But it may have a lot of money and looking to burn it to get rid of some paper, read on.
But the question is, “Is it illegal to burn money, or can we can do it publically?” This is the most important question that comes to mind because we are talking about burning currency. So is it illegal to burn money?

· Registered
487 Posts
Hello Pilot watch fans. I have been a member of the overall forum for years but never stepped into this particular forum. I’m mostly a diver watch fan but the bug for a pilot watch has started to bite. I turn to you all for advice and suggestions.
Inside the next few months I plan to purchase my next piece. I’ve somewhat narrowed it down to either a Sinn 104 A St Sa or an IWC Pilots watch Mark XVIII

Now I understand different countries of origin and the price difference but what I need advice on is whether the price difference is noticeable? Is there really nearly $3000 of quality difference between IWC and Sinn? I have never owned a sample of either and have always considered a Sinn a sort of Grail (of course I was at that time looking at a U1) but since he itch has arisen I’ve started looking into IWC and just want advice: will I know where my extra money has gone if I were to go the IWC route?

Sorry if I rambled but thank you in advance for any and all pictures, comparisons, advice and suggestions.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems you have owned watches from both brands. Probably you know the answer better than many people here.

For me, IWC wins in two areas: AR coating and overall design. In the price range of Sinn, you have many other options, just to name two: Muhle and Fortis.

There is really no alternative to IWC from western brands, if you are attracted by IWC design and elegance.
Or there are some Aliexpress watches, like Cronos has an IWC homage, 1 mm smaller in case diameter, a bit different hands. The build quality is on par with many Swiss/German ones. I would say it is much better than the stowa I had, quite comparable to Muhle Glashutte terrasport.

· Registered
6,701 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts