WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does Tissot do in quality? Do the watches feel solid and hold up well? How are the bracelets? Any complaints about Tissot?

I know they won't be perfect for a 300-500 dollar watch, but I do definitely want something with quality to it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How does Tissot do in quality? Do the watches feel solid and hold up well? How are the bracelets? Any complaints about Tissot?

I know they won't be perfect for a 300-500 dollar watch, but I do definitely want something with quality to it.
- With their automatics, they use a movement that you could get with much more expensive watches.
- The glass is made of Sapphire Crystal which is very scratch-resistant. Most expensive Swiss watches use this.
- Thick leather straps that have a nice little T-logo on the clasp.

(Image taken from http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/timeline0/letissot.html

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a six (I think) year old PRS200 and it is very solid. The bracelet is nice and heavy and you definitely know you have a watch on your wrist. I've never had any complaints. It is running just as well now as when I first bought it. No scratches on the glass either thanks to the sapphire crystal, although I did manage to nick the bracelet a couple times.

In fact, I just purchased my second Tissot, a Le Locle and it arrived last week. It is my first automatic and so far I absolutely love it.

I cannot compare the Tissots to anything more expensive, since they are the best of what I have. I think they are awesome though.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I had a Seastar 1000 for a while and I didn't have the best luck. The crown broke and since I work around magnets, I kept magnetizing it. I noticed with the display back that the movement had almost no antimag capabilities. If it had higher antimag properties, I'd probably still have it on my wrist today.

·
5,147 Posts
Tissots are generally high quality watches. They offer quite a lot for the money: Swiss ETA movement, solid cases and bracelets, sapphire crystals, and a 150 year history. Fit and finish is superb on all the ones I've handled. They have been owned by the Swatch group for several years as are Omega, Hamilton, Blancpain and quite a few other well known brands.

I have three Tissots, all of them automatics. No problems with any of them so far. Of course, folks do encounter problems from time to time as did Torrid. Past history on this forum shows the T-Touch to be the most problem prone model.

Tissot is a solid brand with a reputation to match. Their watches are good buys.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think that generally speaking Tissot offer a lot of watch for the money. I'm very pleased with my Le Locle, though I've only owned it for a little over two months.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Tissot builds decent watches for the price. But you are correct. At the price point, there are a few shortcomings (e.g., bracelets aren't as strong as other, more expensive brands and movements aren't decorated). But, at that price point, they are all forgivable.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i owned a seastar 1000 for about 2 days.. i had an issue with the caseback screws.. but the ebay seller is correcting the issue for my by replacing the watch with a new one.. but i have to admit.. the seastar is amazing.. i have the blue dial on ss bracelet... even though i had this issue with my first tissot, this doesn't make me not like the brand.. occasionally you will get a watch with an issue.. i would do research before you buy, and let us know what you decide on..

:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the quality is very good for the price. The fit and finish of my PRC100 is amazing for paying less than $300. The bracelet is very nice. You get solid end links and the bracelet flows smoothly over the fingers during examination.

Obviously the sapphire crystal is a plus.

My only issue with the PRC 100 is the clasp. It feels and operates like a cheap clasp.

If I had to score it based on my expectations I would give it a 95/100.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont buy a T touch!!

Moisture issues!

sent in twice in 1 year
both times I was riding a bike!

if you sweat! the watch is dead!

my two cents..

see my post

Will

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Dont buy a T touch!!
Moisture issues!

sent in twice in 1 year
both times I was riding a bike!
if you sweat! the watch is dead!
T-Touches are water resistant to 30 meters. I find it hard to believe sweating while riding a bike could overcome that ... :-s

G

·
IMHO, many Tissots are overpriced, esp. the T-Touch (and correspondingly, the Hamilton). I don't know of another modern day watch with WR less than 50m, but the T-Touch is one.

If one has access to the manual for a Japanese watch (e.g. Casio), 50m WR does not mean one can dive or even swim with the watch in a pool.

50m WR is only adequate for intermitten contact with water (e.g. hand-washing, drizzle).

30m? Yup, I believe excessive sweat (esp if it goes to the temp/pressure sensors can kill the watch.

Its hard to believe something marketed as a tough adventure/sports watch (why else have an altimeter?) is more fragile than a dress piece.

Sapphire crystals? You can find that in sub $200 watches nowadays.

Some of the mechanical line are nicely finished and sport higher end movements not commonly found in that price bracket, like the ETA 289* family.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Some Speedmaster Pros are only good to 30 m.

·
Registered
448 Posts
sweat shouldnt be getting into a watch if it is resistant to 30m

G

·
sweat shouldnt be getting into a watch if it is resistant to 30m

Well, something did kill his watch twice out bicycling...

The T-Touch is cool and all to try out but I think one is better off with a Casio Pathfinder or Timex Expedition with thermometer and compass.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You mean the newer ones that are replicates of the original moon watch? That's a faithful reproduction of a 1960s design for a mechanical watch. Can't really call it a modern quartz can we?
True enough, but your original quote read, "I don't know of another modern day watch with WR less than 50m, but the T-Touch is one." You didn't mention anything about quartz.

The Speedie Pro might be a reproduction, but it uses an entirely different movement from that in the '60s. In some regards, it is, indeed, a modern watch. Furthermore, its 30-m water resistance does just fine. There are guys over on the Omega forum who have dipped their's in water while rafting and the watch holds up just fine. I wouldn't do that with mine, but the point being is that 30-m is limited, but it should be fine handling sweat, rain and splashes.

G

·
True enough, but your original quote read, "I don't know of another modern day watch with WR less than 50m, but the T-Touch is one." You didn't mention anything about quartz.

The Speedie Pro might be a reproduction, but it uses an entirely different movement from that in the '60s. In some regards, it is, indeed, a modern watch. Furthermore, its 30-m water resistance does just fine. There are guys over on the Omega forum who have dipped their's in water while rafting and the watch holds up just fine. I wouldn't do that with mine, but the point being is that 30-m is limited, but it should be fine handling sweat, rain and splashes.
Fair enough, though I still think that Speedmaster is not a modern design. Omega wanted the watch to look and feel as original as possible but ran out of old movements I guess. Then again, I won't be surprised if your Speedmaster works in the pool/sauna etc. Its after all, an expensive watch that's a proven design! Been to space and back. That should tell you something about its sealing capabilities and ability to handle pressure differences. Underrated WR?

Perhaps Omega's definition of WR is different from the Japs.

Or perhaps (given multiple ownership reports of the T-Touch's disaffinity with water), Tissot should just say the watch is water-phobic instead of 30m resistant. But I guess that makes the T-Touch moot as the adventure/sports watch it is marketed as.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fair enough, though I still think that Speedmaster is not a modern design. Omega wanted the watch to look and feel as original as possible but ran out of old movements I guess. Then again, I won't be surprised if your Speedmaster works in the pool/sauna etc. Its after all, an expensive watch that's a proven design! Been to space and back. That should tell you something about its sealing capabilities and ability to handle pressure differences. Underrated WR?

Perhaps Omega's definition of WR is different from the Japs.

Or perhaps (given multiple ownership reports of the T-Touch's disaffinity with water), Tissot should just say the watch is water-phobic instead of 30m resistant. But I guess that makes the T-Touch moot as the adventure/sports watch it is marketed as.
Hi vandice,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the T-Touch. I agree with you, that a watch marketed as "sports" with a WR of 30M is ridiculous! Personally, I would only buy a T-Touch if it had a WR of 100M or higher.

In my opinion, the Tissot T-Touch is an exception to the rule. Tissot watches in general are made to a very high standard. I don't think it's fair to judge a watch company on one model they've made.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts