WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman: Wanted to say thanks for such a fantastic forum. I have allways wanted a G-Shock ever since I was in the military. Life's obligations got in the way until two months ago. After much deliberation I bought a new GW-2310-1 black. I can't tell you how much I adore this watch. I am very proud of it. It is perfect and exceeded my expectations in every way except one.
The strap is too short! I never realized I had huge wrists until now. I can just barely squeeze it into the second notch. But it is uncomfortable. The first notch on the strap is perfect. But leaves the tiny end of the strap dangleing in mid-air because it wont fit under the round rubber keeper to hold it close.
I have honestly tried the search function and went to several band makers websites but they leave me more confused than when I started. I have been lurking here and loving it but I now humbly and with respect ask for everyones help. So what band do I want?
It is simple. I LOVE the factory original black rubber strap but just need it slightly longer. Thats it. I live in Florida and sweat badly so a cloth or " Nato " (?) type is out. It will be soaked in sweat and require daily washing or it will soon have an odor. So any type of black rubber, silocone or polymer type material is preferred. As I stated, I love the original style or close to it. The band attaches to the watch in a attractive manner so the original factory band in a longer version would be perfect. But I do not believe it exsists. I have looked.
I also don't mind spending a couple of dollars to get what I need. $40.00 to $50.00 is my top end if need be. Of course I would prefer to spend less ( who dosn't ) But I do really love this watch...I am not the smartest person in the world. So please give me websites and stock numbers so I will not be confused. And make it clear to me if I need new pins or any type of adapters . I really appreciate this with all my heart and will strive to be a better more contributing member in the future. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek!

The "good" news is that the GW-2310 uses the same 16mm lug width as a lot of other G-Shocks, which means it can use the adapters from the DW-5600 and many other models -- there are a lot of threads around here on that particular subject: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/updates-band-replacement-ideas-gw2310fb-1cr-857145.html

If it weren't for the Florida + sweat + washing issue, I'd say "go that route," but since you can't, the best option will probably be to find another Casio resin strap that uses 16mm lugs -- and there are quite a few of those as well! DW-5600, DW-6900, and somewhere around here is a thread where I tried to start a list of other models. (I can't find it right now, but I'll keep looking for it.)

Any of those other models should be a "direct fit," without needing new springbars or any sort of adapter. :-!

The "bad" news is that you'll have to find one of those other models that has a longer-than-usual strap, and I don't remember ever seeing ANY threads around here comparing and contrasting various stock Casio strap lengths.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Hi mate, welcome aboard, great first post.

Theres nothing more i can add to what Mike has said, he has probably forgotten more about G-Shocks than i'll ever know.
I'd go the adapter route as Mike has mentioned then you can rock a zulu etc
cheers

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
...and somewhere around here is a thread where I tried to start a list of other models. (I can't find it right now, but I'll keep looking for it.)
Found the list that I was looking for (which as mentioned, is far from complete) at https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/there-way-switch-resin-band-velcro-band-1034668-2.html:

Off the top of my head (and after peeking at the "square compatibility chart") here's a short but by no means exhaustive list:

16mm "flat" strap
DW-5600E
DW-6600 (all)
DW-6900 (all)
G-6900
GW-6900
G-5600
GWX-5600
DW-5000SP/ML/LV/SL
GW-5000
GW-M5600 and 5610
GW-S5600
GLS-5600
GLX-5600
DW-9052

16mm "curved" strap:
G-2110
G-2300
GW-2310
I also found another, earlier list (that features a lot of older models that you'll probably have trouble finding parts for) and figured I'd put them together for future searchers -- https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/inpu...models-fit-maretec-zulu-adapters-425682.html:

Here's the list I compiled for the G-Shock Wiki:

Which G-Shocks are compatible with strap adapters?

* DW-003
* DW-004
* DW-5000 (reissues and variants)
* DW-5200
* DW-5300
* DW-5600C
* DW-5600E
* DW-6100
* DW-6200
* DW-6500
* DW-6600
* DW-6900
* DW-9052
* G-5600
* G-5700
* GW-200 Frogman (GW-225 and variants)
* GW-5600

So in conclusion, all of those models work with Casio's 16mm adapters, which means that those model's straps also (should) come with 16mm straps as standard equipment, so they should all be interchangeable!

Now it's just a matter of figuring out which ones are longer than the others.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
immediately in my mind is using the adapter but with the "classic" 1 piece resin by Gshock itself - I don't know how much longer it is though, if I have time, I'd pull them out and take pic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the help so far. Lots of info but which black rubber type strap is LONGER? If you were me which would you pick. I really just need a web site and part number. Sorry for my ignorance, but the word "adapters" is used often. Adapt to what?
Also, I really can not use any type of cloth or velcro. They are dripping wet at the end of the day. The Casio thick rubber type is perfect for my needs. Whenever I wash my hands I simply rinse the watch under cool water and paper towel dry.......

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Lots of info but which black rubber type strap is LONGER? If you were me which would you pick. I really just need a web site and part number.
As I noted above, the "which strap is longer or longest?" question is the part that nobody really has an answer to -- yet. There are all sorts of cross-reference charts in this subforum of Watchuseek, but in three years I've never seen a "strap length" comparison chart.

Hopefully someone who owns one of the models above will see this thread and can definitely say "the strap for model XX-xxxx is longer than most of my others."

Sorry for my ignorance, but the word "adapters" is used often. Adapt to what?
The "adapters" we mention repeatedly in above posts are for "adapting" a G-Shock to use a non-standard strap.

For various reasons, a lot of people DO prefer using fabric straps on their G-Shocks. Zulu style straps are generally longer, and since they're one solid strip of nylon that (normally) fits behind both of a watch's springbars that means that if one springbar breaks or falls out, the watch won't fall off the wearer's wrist. Here's a good picture of (almost) your watch on adapters and a Zulu strap: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/there-strap-adapter-gw2310-1-a-828876.html#post6061546

Even though you don't want to use adapters for your watch, they're commonly used when discussing various G-Shock models and their straps in pretty much this exact way!

"Adapters fit a DW-5600, and they fit a DW-6900 as well. Does that mean that the strap from a DW-5600 will fit a DW-6900 and vice versa?" (Yes, because the two models' straps and those adapters are all the same 16mm size.)

So, since the GW-2310 can use those adapters as well, it gives us a common point of reference in case someone else owns a watch (not listed above) that also uses adapters and that model will also probably use a 16mm lug width.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
from left to right
1/ the regular popular affordable 5600 strap: longer than the regular 2300 one hole
2/ the one piece resin of Gshock that i was talking about, longer than 2 holes
3/ the 2300 on its original adaptors with leather nato
4/ regular 2300 and its own regular strap

my measurements are by eyes, guestimate only, i don't have time

I still suggest that you use nato/zulu with adaptor still, IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED IT don't assume it keeps the wetness and holds the smell long,
they use better material these days (way better than those Gshock velcro hard to dry and keeping smell lingering)

or use bracelet

because:

regular 5600 strap are not rounded at the part close to the bezel, making it look weird
finding a black 1-piece and its adaptor in black is HARD unless you want to buy an old Gshock to get those parts (this 1 piece will fit loosely on the black adaptor of 3 shown above, it has to be with its own TIGHTER adaptor) - if none comes in black, you will have to dye it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So that is what an adapter is! Makes perfect sense. So I need an adapter that will gracefully go between the watch "Body" and the rubber straps. It seems these are no longer available . I have seen some pictures of the "Zulu" concept but it does not interest me. The straps are not rubber ( or silicone,plastic,carbon fiber etc. any of these will make me happy ) and they make the watch body sitting on your wrist look like a hockey puck. Not the beautiful lines of the original 2310....

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The straps are not rubber ( or silicone,plastic,carbon fiber etc. any of these will make me happy ) and they make the watch body sitting on your wrist look like a hockey puck.
Can't really argue with the "hockey puck" part, but the better quality, heavier-duty nylon Zulu-style straps ARE relatively plastic-y. They're very tightly woven, and they're not terribly flexible or soft, and they're about twice as thick as the NATO style straps, which feel more like fabric. You might want to take a closer look if you happen to see them at a jewelry store or at a watch kiosk at the mall.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Maybe you would want to try the 12" versions should you go to the zulu route. Get one strap for each day, and just throw the dirty ones in your laundry to clean it. 40 bucks can get you plenty of them-depends on where you're looking at ;)

Carpatakled

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am speaking to the greatest collection of G-Shock experts the world has to offer and I yell from the rooftops "My kingdom for a slightly longer (original type) band ! ".

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
and sir, you realize that the 2300 is SMALL comparing to you wrist right? fashion-wise ?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I am speaking to the greatest collection of G-Shock experts the world has to offer and I yell from the rooftops "My kingdom for a slightly longer (original type) band ! ".
...you're not on your lonesome, wally. I too have to wear all my G shocks on the last or second last hole, and I have to constantly move the keeper back on to the strap. DW-6900s are the worst for me - they need to be worn on the 3rd last hole for the keeper to stay put. I have a 8 1/4" wrist and suspect yours is very similar. Smaller wrists don't realise how lucky they are.

...heres my 8900SC that i wore yesterday, strapped on the last hole - the keeper is right up against the buckle and just stays put - most of the time.

. 150521_G8900SC-7(2).jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you KEV55, I really feel your pain. Is there nothing in all creation we can do? We have robots wheeling around on the face of MARs but it is totally impossible to find a slightly larger band for my watch? Anybody??

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thank you KEV55, I really feel your pain. Is there nothing in all creation we can do? We have robots wheeling around on the face of MARs but it is totally impossible to find a slightly larger band for my watch? Anybody??
I assume Casio manufacture their strap sizes to cover most of the perceived population of watch consumers. When you're out on the periphery of the "bell curve" like us, it seems you and me are out of luck. I;m sure there is a market for Casio quality resin "oversize" straps, but I'm yet to see them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since I have the Experts on the line, Is my current original factory strap resin, rubber,synthetic, or what?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts