WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the recommendation of a couple other forum members, I bought a #1171 bracelet (gorgeous classic bracelet, albeit with a skimpy clasp) with #633 end links for my quartz Aqua Terra (click on my watch banner in my signature for the precise reference).

Today, after a long time, I found time to go to my watchmaker to install the bracelet. Unfortunately the end links did not fit, there were two problems:

• The end links were a tad too wide; so my watchmaker filed the 'end' part of the end links (the straight parts that are in contact with the lugs) and that was fixed.
  • The 'curvature' of the end links is not correct for the Aqua Terra case, so in fact the end links are keeping the pins a bit too from the holes in the lugs. In other words, the pins cannot engage in their pin holes in the lugs.
That last problem we could not fix, and my watchmaker did not want to force anything. So besides a few tiny scratches on the back of my lugs, I did not gain anything today. :-|

Can anyone tell me, which end links are correct for the Aqua Terra? Any info would be very appreciated. Of course, if someone knows how to modify a #633 so it does the job, I also welcome any advice.

Thanks!

PS: I forgot to ask my watchmaker to open the back, to note the case number. o|

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The 633 end pieces are normally 20mm wide and even some of those have to be filed down to fit the 20mm Speedy Pro lugs. As I recall, the AT is 19mm.

I do not know of anyone who has an 1171 on an AT so I cannot help in that regard.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
The 633 end pieces are normally 20mm wide and even some of those have to be filed down to fit the 20mm Speedy Pro lugs. As I recall, the AT is 19mm.

I do not know of anyone who has an 1171 on an AT so I cannot help in that regard.

Fr. John+
Yep, I had to filed down the 633 end pieces a bit to make them fit to my Speedy.

I don't know why someone recommended the 1171 bracelet and the 633 end pieces for your AT, but I have seen an AT w/aftermarket metal bracelet before. I'm sorry I don't know who makes them though....

- Hiro

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys!

I think I found the correct end link: #898 (here on Ofrei). $44 for one! :roll:

Now my question is, will this fit the end of the 1171 bracelet? If yes I'm OK.

Do you know if those end (the last link) are "standard"? I'm talking about the part on the top on the picture below; will it fit the end of the bracelet?

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
It seems you need to remove the center link of the end of the 1171 bracelet, but I'm not sure the 898 end link would fit in there as I don't know the length of the center link of the 898.

Also, the end of the 1171 doesn't have holes to connect the 898 end link. It seems to be difficult. - Hiro

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I'm afraid that I might have had something to do with this, Xal. When you asked about an alternative bracelet in this thread, I suggested that the ref.1171 should work.

What led me to believe that, is the post I linked to in that thread, where Glimmer had his modern Speedy bracelet on his AT and his AT bracelet on Speedy. I figured, since the Speedy bracelet fit the AT, and both the AT bracelet and the 1171 fit Speedy, then the 1171 should fit the AT. There must be some flaw in that logic, somewhere, but I'm still a little groggy and can't figure it out.

My apologies for misleading you :oops: I hope you can work something out.

eric

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
I think the 633 end links are somewhat problematic IMHO. I think I didn't file the side of my end link evenly, so there is a gap as you can see in the pic.

- Hiro

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for following up.

Eric; yes I remember now, it was indeed GLIMMER's AT that had a Speedy bracelet. Don't feel bad, this kind of hunt is part of the WiS fun!

I got some info from a watchmaker in Florida. Here are the end links that supposedly work with the 1171. Now, how could I know which one works on the AT? :think:

I'll try PM'ing GLIMMER and see what can be found.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
I think you might need a case number of your AT. Reference number might work also.

- Hiro

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The case reference is 2517.80.

Although now, I just need to know if the end link reference 898 will mount on the 1171 bracelet. In other words, will this:

Go where you put the red arrow, here (if I take the last piece out):

If the answer is yes, then I buy those end links and mount them on the Speedy bracelet and voilà!

But it seems very hard to achieve, I think I'll have to say goodbye to that bracelet.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
The case reference is 2517.80.

Although now, I just need to know if the end link reference 898 will mount on the 1171 bracelet.
Unfortunately, I think it's something of a long shot, Xal, but for starters, take some measurements on the 1171 and your AT bracelet. If the dimensions happen to match up, it's a matter of taking apart the end of the 1171 and seeing if the pin holding the outside links together will fit through the 898 hole. The last part is probably best assigned to a watchmaker, because it's tough to rip apart an 1171, without damaging it.

Another thing to consider is the finish and color of the two pieces, and how well they match up. It seems to me the 1171 is a fair amount darker than the AT bracelet.

eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts