WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My hopes are low, but in my 'research', little as it is, the Cowell and Hubbard company was supplied movements by Patek Philippe for some of their pocket watches.

I know that Illinois also provided movements, but the movement in the watch I just bought lends itself much more toward the european style than anything I know that Illinois ever made. I know almost nothing about Patek Philippe so I'm grasping for straws so to speak.

To me it appears to be a high quality swiss movement, but I don't even know where to start. I got a reply from the seller that all of the markings on the movement read 'Cowell & Hubbard' 'Cleveland' 'Adjusted' '47994'.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's nothing special at all, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: Please help identify movement! Patek Phillipe?!

I neither know about illinois nor about patek philippe but the regulator on your watch might help identify it. A little online research might throw up something similar from either brand.

Kind regards

Aditya

EDIT, I have not seen a patek with damasceening yet. Of course, I don't know about these :)

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

Movement looks neither Patek or Illinois.
More research needed

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm on the trail now of Agassiz, I think. I know that they are no Patek, but where do they fall quality-wise?

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts

Agassiz is Longines, and that's a very good fit for the style and finish of this piece. Longines was always a big player in the Private Label market, so that matches too. I wouldn't be surprised if you found a longines and a wittenaur stamp on the dial side. Quality wise, very very good.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts

Hi ladies,

I always wonder why so many people suspect that almost all unknown movements were made by Patek Philippe. Timex made many more movements.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

In this case Mr. Ranfft, it was hope more than suspect.

Also, it was due to Patek and Illinois being the only movement suppliers I could identify for Cowell & Hubbard.

This combined with my naivete concerning European movements, and my opinon of the apparent quality of this movement.

Thanks, Curtis

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the title to what best fits my current suspicions. Hopefully this will help.

Any help in identifying this movement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts

Hey Roland,
you've hit the nail on the head, but hope to be a treasure drives the hunter and inspires the imagination. Depending on the producing aera and quality I guess longines is good candidate . I hope we can see the dialside.

Kind regards Silke

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

SilkeN
as always you're right. I think George Agassiz or Longines are two good candidates. this type of balance regulator (called Nautilus) was also used by Audemars.but the movement is also very similar to the Longines 20R 3/4. this kind of click-spring is something often seen on the movements of Agassiz
regards enrico

·
Registered
3,819 Posts

Hi Silke,

...but hope to be a treasure drives the hunter and inspires the imagination.
My post was more kidding than offense. Ebay simply spoils all habits: If an amazing watch like this can't be assigned to a famous brand, it has no value, disregarding that there were many unknown artists who degraded Patek Philippe watches to ordinary stuff.

However, some details of the movement discussed here actually remind me on Ernest Francillon, but I actually have no clue who may be responsible for the movement.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
First, I apologize for offense taken where none was intended. The written word is so easily misunderstood.

Also, thanks for the leads! I intend to photograph the movement in order to capture details a little better when it comes in and also to check under the dial for any markings.

Are there particular markings, or places to be marked that I should keep an eye out for with any of the possible makers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts