WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a watch given to me by my father some time ago.

I know this is a long shot but I would appreciate any amount of information you can provide.
Please excuse my ignorance.

It is a men's Wittnauer watch that is gold in colour. (I am not certain if it is actually gold or plated but may be another gold coloured metal)
It is a skeleton wristwatch (glass front and back) with manual winding movement.
I have no idea of it's age, rarity or worth and I'm simply curious.
The closest to it I have seen is a Wittnauer watch from 1940s which wasn't a skeleton watch, but it also resembles a skeletal Vulcain watch I have seen.

I would supply an image but the watch is kept at my mother's house and is locked in an old suitcase with other sentimental items of mine.
If I can get to it I will pass on the image, but it may be difficult.

I understand this is not a good description but if you could point me in the right direction I would be very happy.

Thank you very much for your time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
sorry - tried searching the www and could not find anything in a vintage skeleton. hopefully someone can provide some insight, lots of very knowledgeable ppl here, unfort i am not one of them!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Don't know much either.
Wittnauer was associated with Longines as a lower cost line.
I've never owned one but have looked at lots and never seen one with a display back, which is really only common in the last decade or so. If it's a latter model I would suspect that it is not gold.
Sorry, that's it for my old brain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I have also been scouring the internet and come up with nothing so far.
I will keep checking back here, so far I think I've seen every image google provides when searching for "Wittnauer skeleton watch" but nothing the same as mine.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the pics sorted!
I have had this watch over a decade, when i received it the strap was broken, very worn and weathered so I replaced it.
I notice it says 17 jewels although I only count about 12?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Looks like 17 jewels to me. There are some cap jewels that increase the jewel count. I agree with Snak that it looks like 1960s -70s but I haven't seen that many skeleton watches from that time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but can't see a serial on your photos.
Where would I find it? I've had another look over the watch and can't see any serial number? I'm guessing that would have been engraved in a metal back usually?

but I haven't seen that many skeleton watches from that time.
So they aren't ten a penny? Would this mean it's quite rare?

Thanks for your help friends.:-!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
So they aren't ten a penny? Would this mean it's quite rare?
Others may know more, but I wouldn't expect this watch to be particularly rare. It might just mean that it's hard to pin down the time it was made, and Snak and I may be off by 10 years. The serial number should be visible somewhere on the movement if there is one.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Possibly movement size but not a serial number.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
That's a solid piece of info!

Where did you manage to find it?
I did a Google image search (another good way to find info) and found a review on a 1972 Wittnauer Retrograde. Also see that it went back to 1969:

1960s Wittnauer Futurama 1000 Double Retrograde

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah yes, the typeface is the same, lower case with the rounded "W"
I had done a lot of searching which brought me here.
I have emailed a watch dealer aboout any information, they replied with a valuation and said "$150 if it's gold filled and $350 if it's 14k"

I can't see any stamps indicating the type of metal used.
This watch doesn't give a lot away very easily, strange seeing as you can see right through it.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ah yes, the typeface is the same, lower case with the rounded "W"
I had done a lot of searching which brought me here.
I have emailed a watch dealer aboout any information, they replied with a valuation and said "$150 if it's gold filled and $350 if it's 14k"

I can't see any stamps indicating the type of metal used.
This watch doesn't give a lot away very easily, strange seeing as you can see right through it.....

I've got the same watch but in silver, I bought mine on the Greek holiday Island of Rhodes in 1984 (miners strike)from a jewellery shop that was within the old town. I'll post pictures later

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've got the same watch but in silver, I bought mine on the Greek holiday Island of Rhodes in 1984 (miners strike)from a jewellery shop that was within the old town. I'll post pictures later
That'd be good to see! Are you in UK? (*edit* I'm guessing so, hence "miners strike")
I was only born a few years prior to that so don't really remember.
I don't suppose you would know how to find the hallmark or serial?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a similar skeleton watch as yours, but it has a different font and hash marks rather than numbers on the dial. Did you ever find any way to determine the year or serial number?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a similar skeleton watch as yours, but it has a different font and hash marks rather than numbers on the dial. Did you ever find any way to determine the year or serial number?
Unfortunately not.
I guess the only way to find out would be to take it to a watch dealer/maker and have it opened up.
If I get any more info I'll be sure to post it up here.

I was hoping to see the silver version as I personally prefer silver to gold.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts