WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, going through my grandfathers stuff recently I found this old watch he passed away so I have no history or details on it... it only has 17158 on the face and on the back inside the second hand ticks faster than once every second and there is increments from 25 to 300 around the dial ... hoping someone here can shed some light on it, thanks
IMG_9986comp.JPG IMG_9982comp.JPG IMG_9984comp.JPG

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm almost inclined to wonder if this is an early artillery timepiece; it has a very "military" feel to it, but dating from the late 1800's I think. The use of sweep-seconds is unusual, although the implementation in this case is pretty normal; it's not a "stop watch", just a regular watch with a sweep-second complication designed to make it easier to view the seconds. However, you wouldn't bother implementing that on anything other then a very good, accurate watch. Hopefully, others will know more.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's definitely English in origin . The shape of the escape wheel teeth tell us that , this escapement lost favor by 1880 when the english gave in and used the swiss "club foot " escape wheel which we still use today . I also think it has been re-cased . The hour hand is of the style of a " demi hunter " case .It you note that the hour hand has a doulbe spade . In the demi hunter , the outer case has a window in the center and numbers on the outside so that when closed you can still read the time .As Rob said it has a" Military use" feel to it .

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Jesse's is correct that this is an English watch Circa 1880.
3/4 plate English lever with ratchet escape wheel and center secs.

The sweep hand will tick in 1/5th secs and that is how the secs rail is graduated,
in 1/5th secs hence 300 to the minute.

I'm fairly confident this was originaly an English pocket/stop watch. The center secs
could be 'stopped' by a simple mechanism which arrested the balance wheel.
I agree also that it has been recased.
Commonly called 'Doctors' watches as they could be used for conveniently 'taking the pulse'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all your help guys I think I've narrowed it down I think its a 3/4 Plate, English Lever, Pocket Watch movement made by Gibson & Co. Ltd. of Belfast and dating from c1880. so just lookign to see if I can find out more about that company....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts