WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I haven't been active here for a while but I'm enjoying the Ball watches I first found out about here and purchased from fellow members every day! Unfortunately I lost my mom last year and have been busy the last few months liquidating my parents' estate. Fast forward to a couple of days ago and this thing appeared in a suede watch pouch. As I had previously found a bunch of original Cartier boxes w/paperwork, I have successfully matched up previously found items. Sure as sunrise there was a Cartier watch box with all the paperwork, and warranty cards intact. One of the cards was filled in with the purchase date of 9/1983 at the Cartier flagship store on 5th Ave. in NYC. I was able to match the s/n on the watch to the card as you can see below. I searched high and low for the "model" that was filled in on the card but couldn't find a thing. Then it occurred to me that perhaps this was the salesman's name. LOL. But that wasn't it either. (Ask me how I know this!)

I took it to my watchmaker today and the closest thing he found in his historical book was a model called The Ceinture but it wasn't the same watch. I live in South Florida not far from 2 Cartier corporate stores. I brought it in to one today. Although remaining very composed (I could see that look on his face) all the sales associate could tell me that it was a vintage man's watch, apparently never worn, perhaps even a limited edition. He showed it to the other associates but no one had ever seen it before. Of course I had to ask him what he thought it was worth and he said the closest current watch that he could compare it to was some $9,850 Tank Louis Cartier Large Model but stressed that my watch had a higher gold content. My watch also happens to be a manual movement so I asked him about servicing. He told me they recommend 5 year intervals but after "trying" my watch out he said it felt great I didn't need to spend the $540 they charge for routine servicing. At least he was honest. My watch measures 34.8mmx27.9mmx6.1mm. The overall length from strap tip to buckle tip is 23.5cm and the strap (very dark brown gator) is 14mm wide. So without further ado, here it is..............

*Edit 1/12/14* How's this for weird? I found a letter written by my mother while cleaning out her dressing table. Amidst a lot of personal family related things she mentions this watch. (Twilight Zone music playing) My parents had apartments in both NYC and Paris in the 1980s. The Paris apartment was in Place Vendôme across from the Ritz and the Cartier boutique. I was in my young 20s at the time and was in a serious relationship and they bought this thing for me as an engagement gift. She broke it off, let's just say I was very disappointed at the time so they never gave me the watch and it just in their jewelry safe with all of her other baubles. That explains why the watch has "Cartier, 5th Ave, NYC,USA" on the Certificate of Origin card. This watch was only sold in the Paris store. She must have had them send it to the NYC store along with her usual stash of jewelry she bought every time they went to Paris. Now I really don't want it! LOL. I wear the Ball watches I bought from fellow board members every day. It's going to be listed for sale.

tankwatch1.jpg

tankwatch2.jpg

tankwatch5.jpg

tankwatch3.jpg

tankwatch4.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found it. It's a Cristallor (or Cristalor). Trying to get the correct spelling from Cartier but this thing is so rare it wasn't in the Tank reference book the customer service rep I had on the phone was using. One website claims it's from the 1970s and was only sold from the Paris store. It would be great if a Cartier AD or someone who knows this watch can chime in and help me with the correct spelling and time period for this watch. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found it. It's a Cristallor (or Cristalor). Trying to get the correct spelling from Cartier but this thing is so rare it wasn't in the Tank reference book the customer service rep I had on the phone was using. One website claims it's from the 1970s and was only sold from the Paris store. It would be great if a Cartier AD or someone who knows this watch can chime in and help me with the correct spelling and time period for this watch. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Hugh
Hi Hugh,

Did you sell it yet?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes this is the Cristallor circa 1975. The cristallor was part of a series which cartier introduced somewhere between 1973 and 1976. Strangely enough not much information about this 1973-76 series of the different watches is known and documented.

But I dont like the numberals on the back case just under the Cartier brand.
I never seen a Cartier with such sloppy markings of numerals. These numerals are defo done after market. Stcoknumbers or ?
The serial numerals on the lower section look fine

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is in fact Cartier Crystalor. It runs with ETA 78 manual winding movement, that’s why the serial number starts with 78. This is one of the core Cartier collection after they merged Paris, London, and New York firm. It was around the same time as the Ceinture. I believe the Crystalor are also sold worldwide, but they probably runs out of stock in the US, so that’s why they had it imported from Paris. The number engraved in the back right under the Cartier writings could be the import mark.

It’s a nice watch that doesn’t come around often. Enjoy wearing them :)

edit: can’t believe I’m replying to a thread from 5 years ago

1 - 6 of 6 Posts