WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this on ebay, seller in Argentina. I liked the look and the price was right. Everything seems to be mint condition. Upon opening the watch to look at the movement I became suspicious that it is not genuine or original. It sure seems to be a cheap movement. When I wind it fully the watch does not not start, I have to give it a little bump to get it going. Then it seems to work well, reasonable accuracy (not tested to know exactly how accurate). The dial says it is a Swiss Made. The movement itself only says 1 jewel, unadjusted.

Can you tell me about this? Do you recognize the movement? Do you think it is all original? Is it a frankenwatch built from parts from all over the place? Some kind of replica? Maybe old dial with new case and movement? I'm not too concerned about it with the little cash I put out for it. Any info from vintage experts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Movement does appear to the Baumgartner 866, which would be accurate with "Swiss Made."
Baumgartner_866_DIGCLD.jpg

Definitely a cheap pin lever movement, but a pretty watch overall.
If the movement is giving you too much trouble, I'd chuck it and replace it with another.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hi there, interesting souvenir watch, looks to be a promotional piece from a hotel, probably as part of room gift basket. The 1 jewel movement is an indication of a low-end throw-away type watches handed out to tourists.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is why WUS is so great. Thanks to TheJohnP for great info on the movement. I am happy to find that it seems to match the other parts of the watch.

The "Hotel Nacional de Cuba" is a notable landmark in Havana. As the watch says, it is considered a national monument. The history of the hotel is very interesting.

Incidentally, I have found another very similar watch advertised on ebay, same movement inside. The only difference is the company logo. I'm guessing this is a watch that was sold a promotional items company, where you could order watches in small quantities with your company logo.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
SynMike,

Most people do not know that they never made "dollar watches" in Russia: when Switzerland was making trainloads of one-jewel, or no-jewel pin lever movements, the lowest-end Russian movement was the 15-jewel K-26.

I agree with your thought that the watches were made by a company producing promotional items - send me your logo and we'll print it on the dial sort of deal. Goodness knows if the Bugatti logo means it was commissioned by Bugatti, whoever they were at the time: the brand had been passed around a little more frequently than a football!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts