WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
If it has mass and volume - I think that it is safe to say that is "real".
I believe that we all know what "real" means here, and especially in the context of watches, so perhaps it would be good to answer the OP's question?
GP used the AS 1475:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Girard-Perregaux 11 (AS 1475)
Is the watch genuine apart from being a redial? It might be, however an AS 1475 movement is not really that hard to find, and to fake the GP signatures is nothing challenging. Keep in mind, that GP are quite often faked due to their generic movements. Get a case without engravings and an unsigned Peseux movement, have them engraved with the GP stuff, add a dial that fits the case and movement, and paint "Girard-Perregaux" on it. And there you go- you've just got yourself a GP. Such fakes are quite often seen on eBay. Where there is a repainted dial on a GP, some more things entirely wrong might be there as well. Anyway, it's not really necessary to go into details- the fact that a redial is being sold for over 1300 bucks is ridiculous enough to convince me that it's better to walk away from this one. Whether the rest of the bits is original or not doesn't matter anymore. In my opinion at least.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Terrible redial,terrible price,terrible first step into the vintage world,

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,659 Posts
Even a newbie should see/identify the wrong printing on the dial. "Ginand" does not match the description "The dial may have been redone at some point....." Stay away from watch and seller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll safely give this one a miss. Any recommendations on where a reputable online space is to buy vintage watches? I presume these forums are a good place to start?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I believe that we all know what "real" means here, and especially in the context of watches, so perhaps it would be good to answer the OP's question? . . . .
I certainly can't be included in your "we".

There exist only a few states of condition that can be described without appreciable ambiguity and hence with some degree of universality.

One is: "original as to the date of manufacture". This means just what it implies. No components have been changed or altered since manufacture.

Beyond that - there are vast oceans of difference in interpretation of condition and state as you move from circle to circle - lacking any true concensus.

And each subsequent state requires incontrovertible proof or it's just opinion that may either reflect a great deal of experience and knowledge and judgement or may not.

I suspect that some fairly honest watches - particularly those with a great deal of wear or possible original defective component manufacture - have been impuned in various venues when reviewed in conditions subsequent to "original as to the date of manufacture".

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Looks like you didn't get it, pithy- the OP asked if the watch is genuine or not. Real, genuine, original, one dog- the meaning of the question was clear enough. And instead of providing a rather obnoxious example of picking holes in someone's vocabulary, perhaps something more constructive than semantics-related claptrap would be in order? If I remember correctly, it was about a watch, not semantics.
That's what I wanted to point out. No need to bloviate about ambiguities and universalities- it's incontrovertibly otiose. And as dull as ditchwater.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,659 Posts
A lot of prosa not answering the OP's question at all. It is a real Ginand Perregaux as the dial printing indicates. Not real though.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Any recommendations on where a reputable online space is to buy vintage watches? I presume these forums are a good place to start?
Here's my recommendation. For the next two to six months, look everywhere and buy nothing. I don't care if it's at a giveaway price. Buy nothing.

Figure out what exactly you want in a vintage watch, what brands or complication interest you and just look at pictures of those watches. Go to high-end websites, low-end websites, watch forums, eBay, and auction house archives.

Save pictures and web addresses of those you think are worth a second look. Post a few of them here. You'll get some opinions, they will be all over the board. Everyone has biases and there is a lot if information and misinformation on the web.

Only after you get a good feel for what is authentic and what is not, will it be safe to begin to start bidding on eBay. I say eBay, because despite its faults (and there are many), it is still the best marketplace to find a nice vintage watch at a reasonable price.

Yes, you will find the occasional good buy on the watch forums. However, most of the good stuff trades privately between people on those forums. And when a dealer gets a good deal on a desired piece, he can have his own little bidding war among his customers. Believe me, you're seeing the "B" team on any dealer's website. The good stuff never gets there.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts