WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Please help! Jaeger leCoultre

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  georges zaslavsky 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have long been looking for a vintage watch to my boyfriend, he is very fond of Jaeger le Coultrer. I have looked several times on different clocks,
but because I am pretty ignorant so it is difficult to say what I should provide for an old clock. It seems to range from a few hundred dollars to over 5000 dollars. I have had contact with several private vendors, but did not come to shoot.

One of clocks (the silver), which is interesting, the seller whants 900 pounds, is it reasonable? It will apparently be on the special design.
Can you help me to appreciate the value, model and year? And feel free to tell if you have something similar in your range?

Sincerely
LiS

:thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
the 2nd watch looks like a JLC Memovox to me. Produced in the 60ties I guess. Prices differ from country to country. In Germny they sell for 1000-2000 Euro depending on condition. For references pls. check ebay. We do no evaluation here on WUS, especially not based on just a pic.

#6 ·
I understand that it is difficult to estimate a price of just using a picture, but it was interesting that it comes from the sixties! It looks to be very similar to that of your image.
Do you know something else about them or where I can get more information about the model and a more exact year?

Thank you for taking the time.

Best regards

LiS

#8 · (Edited)
Hi LiS. The silver (it's stainless steel actually) watch is indeed a Memovox, and assuming it's in good condition and working well than the seller's asking price is more than fair - but as Mike says it's impossible to tell for sure without handling the watch. I'll be able to tell you the case reference number (like the model number) when I get home, but it's certainly from the 85x series made in the 1960's and has what we call a "bumper" movement inside. Read THIS for more information on bumpers. It has an alarm feature too - which is what the second crown and center part of the dial is for. I bet he'd be thrilled with that one as they are a fairly sought after vintage watch among JLC collectors.

All that being said, can you wait until I get home to my reference material to check to see if the parts all match up? It's worth much more if it is all correct - hands, dial, case should all be from the same model and not mismatched, cannibalized or assembled from other models.

#9 ·
Some questions arise when I compare your picture to my data. The case has the lugs of a reference E855, but the crowns are slightly recessed like the older manual wind versions from the 50's. Those older models didn't have a date window, and while we're talking about the date window the shape puzzles me - they're usually square but the one in your photo is sort of trapezoidal. The dial also doesn't have AUTOMATIC on it, which would be on all the automatic winding bumper versions. The hands are correct for an E855, but I suspect it was assembled from a variety of parts from different watches - which we call a 'frankenwatch'. Now, I could be wrong as there isn't any single source for identifying Memovoxes so take what I say with a grain of salt. It would explain the relatively low asking price though. It's still an excellent watch, just not one that would bring top dollar from a serious collector if it was ever sold.

#10 ·
The OP has posted this same question about the two watches shown on at least 3 other watch forums and received the answer that the Memovox is a ref E11013 (not an E855, though it bears a striking resemblance). If you look carefully at the back, you'll see that it is a manual wind (cal 911) not a bumper auto like the E855.

#11 · (Edited)
If you look carefully at the back, you'll see that it is a manual wind (cal 911) not a bumper auto like the E855.
I have this exact same watch with a slightly earlier serial number 1230026 that I personally purchased new in Zurich in the 70's. I can confirm that mine is auto-wind with an alarm - and slightly radioactive flourescent hands ! After lying in a cupboard for ~30 years it still works well, and doesn't have the scratches shown on this example. (I stopped wearing watches long ago). I found this site after searching Google to try to identify the model and see if it was worth anything.

#12 ·
first one gold handwound model from the late 40's early 50's and second one is hand would memovox of the late 60's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.