WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As you can see, I'm new to this forum, and the world of watches as a whole. My dad is buying me my first watch for my 21st and these are what I'm deciding between.

Tissot

Maestro, JazzMaster, American Classic, Gents Collection, Hamilton Watch

TAG Heuer swiss watches

I really like all 3 of them. My first choice would be the Tissot, but my dad wants me to get the Tag. My preference is mostly based on the look of the watch, while my dad's is probably for the brand. I'd just like to know what you experienced watch enthusiasts think in terms of the technical aspects of the 3 watches. To my knowledge they are all roughly similar in price. The Tag uses a quartz movement while the other 2 are mechanical and I like the idea of having a mechanical watch more, just because. Please share your thoughts guys! All input will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
For that sort of money, mechanical over quartz would be my pick as well. You cant go wrong with Tissot or Hamilton, you should ideally find an AD and try them out in person to get a better idea on which one you prefer.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
On looks alone, the Tissot is the pick of that litter - very, very nice watch.

If you're looking to convince your dad of your choice, point out to him that its a very solid and respected brand making a good mechanical watch that will last you a life time, if serviced every 4 years or so, and that you could wear it anywhere with anything.

I'll bet if you just tell him how much you like it you won't have to go into it so much though.

The tag is a fine watch too - but very sporty looking. It would not match as well as the Tissot with formal/semi formal cloths (like suit and tie, or even blazer/sports coat outfit). You could wear the Tissot anywhere with any outfit (not with your swim suit though - 5 ATM water resistant)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
By what you like, but in my opinion a TAG quartz is not worth the money. I have nothing against quartz, but I don't think the quartz movements TAG uses (F06.111) are very good. For a step up into a better quality quartz, look at some of Omega's offerings. They use a better quartz movement, and are just better quality overall.

Or wander off the map and go Grand Seiko. You'll get something REALLLLY nice, for a good price. But they may be too conservative for you age.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's probably a good idea to decide what occasions you are planning to wear this for, and try all 3 of them on if you can. Of those, I like the look of the Hamilton the best, though it was a little thicker than I would have liked when I tried it on. Remember that on one hand even the Tissot and the Hamilton will require some maintenance in a few years, but on the other hand, mechanicals can be much more interesting to own.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That particular Hamilton is a gourgeous watch, and IMO it goes well with a variety of outfits and situations.
For a sportier looking watch, I would go with the Tag, but heed the warnings others have mentioned in here.
Tissot is a good brand, but I find the look of this particular chrono uninspiring.

·
Registered
194 Posts
On looks alone, the Tissot is the pick of that litter - very, very nice watch.

If you're looking to convince your dad of your choice, point out to him that its a very solid and respected brand making a good mechanical watch that will last you a life time, if serviced every 4 years or so, and that you could wear it anywhere with anything.

I'll bet if you just tell him how much you like it you won't have to go into it so much though.

The tag is a fine watch too - but very sporty looking. It would not match as well as the Tissot with formal/semi formal cloths (like suit and tie, or even blazer/sports coat outfit). You could wear the Tissot anywhere with any outfit (not with your swim suit though - 5 ATM water resistant)
in my country any watches with bracelet is fine with suit and tie. Nowadays not many people care about what type of watch you ware anymore.

For the watch I would go with Tag or Hamilton.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses!

I'll head down to the stores this weekend to get a better look at them and hopefully make a decision then. This is going to be my every day watch. I'm a uni student now and I won't have much need to wear my watch for any formal occasion. I find that the leather straps suit me a little better, based on how I usually dress, but the metal bracelet allows me more freedom (eg. getting my watch wet). Convincing my dad shouldn't be a problem, just that he likes the Tag Heuer the most.

I've had a look at Seiko because they're much more popular around here and you can find them pretty much anywhere, but I didn't like the looks of their watches. Maybe it's psychological, but for some reason Swiss watches just look better to me :D

I also had a look at the Oris, MeisterSinger and Schaumburg Conceptum websites. Are these in the same price range as Tissot and Hamilton? They look a lot more high end. I really like the MeisterSinger single hand watches, though I don't think it'd be very practical for me to read the time since I won't be used to it.

And that Tissot LeLocle, I'd have to buy that second hand wouldn't I?

Please continue to share your opinions!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd go mechanical! tissot or hamiton, whichever speaks to you most....or is the better deal, or has an AD/warranty that you like etc.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Thanks for all the responses!

I also had a look at the Oris, MeisterSinger and Schaumburg Conceptum websites. Are these in the same price range as Tissot and Hamilton? They look a lot more high end. I really like the MeisterSinger single hand watches, though I don't think it'd be very practical for me to read the time since I won't be used to it.

Oris may be priced slightly higher than Hamilton but still very much in the same ball park. MeisterSinger has 3 hands watches and optional bracelet for some models. Schaumburg Conceptum looks like a IWC Ingenieur and very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like the tissot - not seen that model before. Oris are more expensive than tissot* generally, but should have models within the price bracket that tag f1 gets you near - especially with some haggling.

I'm assuming this tissot is at a higher price point than the models i typically see in the shops, which are mostly quartz

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all,

As you can see, I'm new to this forum, and the world of watches as a whole. My dad is buying me my first watch for my 21st and these are what I'm deciding between.

Tissot

Maestro, JazzMaster, American Classic, Gents Collection, Hamilton Watch

TAG Heuer swiss watches

I really like all 3 of them. (...)
I'd echo the others in preferring Hamilton & Tissot over the Tag. However, the "Grand Seiko" model referred to previously may be nicer looking than you were led to believe: Grand Seiko | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION
It is also a historical watch, for what that's worth. (I.e. it does carry some engineering clout...):)

·
Registered
363 Posts
And that Tissot LeLocle, I'd have to buy that second hand wouldn't I?

If you want the LeLocle, buy it from jomashop. They are highly reputable. They offer 2 year warranty as well. Its only $325 for the leather version. I got the bracelet version and I am very happy about it.

Alternatively, you can also buy from amazon.com. Amazon has excellent customer service.

Tissot Le Locle Watches

1 - 20 of 39 Posts