WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone

i've been wanting to get a watch for my dad for ages now ever since i started working
sadly i dont make much working in china >_<

i am just so lost in what to get my dad

his old watch's battery died and he wasnt able to replace it, so the first thing i know is that i want an automatic or one with manual winding.

i'm willing to spend up to 1000 if i find a watch that i think is worth it

all i know is that he used to have 2 tone gold metal band movado
sorta like this one
Movado Men's 0606388 Serio Two-Tone Stainless-Steel Black Round Dial Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

i know he liked it for it's simplicity.

However, from what i've read, movado just isn't that great of a watch company anymore???
and their automatics (that i think just came out because i've been looking for months and months) are super expensive

sooo, to give you guys an idea of what i'm looking for, i think the nomos orion looks great
Orion | Beautiful watches purchased online. Directly from NOMOS Glashutte/SA.
buuuuut out of my price range

some tissots were looking pretty good to me and seem in my price range??

Tissot Men's T068.427.16.011.00 White Dial Carson Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Tissot Men's T0595071603100 Automatic Stainless Steel Silver Dial Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Tissot Men's T0144271603100 PRC200 Automatic White Chronograph Dial Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

so what do you guys think??

i appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you're working in China have you considered getting him a Seagull? From what I have read from others on here you should be able to get him a very high quality automatic watch with an in-house Seagull movement for that amount, and it might mean a little more to him to get a watch that is made where you are working.

I don't know any models to suggest for your price-range, but I have been eyeing up an M171 or M172 which would come well under your budget.

Might also be worth checking out the Chinese automatic forum if this idea is of interest to you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually had been considering the seagull

however, after speaking with a few friends over here

i'm not actually positive where to purchase one.....
and there are manyyyy fakes sold here

and last, i dont have any relatives going back anytime soon to give it to him

but i will definitely keep it in mind,
i'm actually thinking about possibly getting a seagull for myself :p

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Seiko SARB035:

Seiko_Sarb035.jpg

borrowed pic.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's only one data point, but I bought my wife a Movado a while back and the gold plating wore off pretty easily. I have avoided the brand since.

Tissot seems to provide good value for the money in most of their models.

Reactions: Vinni Sanders

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Stowa represents about the best value you can find for that price range. If you like the Nomos, check out the Stowa Antea. The Stowa Flieger has a historical heritage that is very rare in a watch in this price range.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I'm going to second Seiko here. Check around for some of their Japan domestic SARB series watches. Orient's Star line is going to be much the same in terms of both quality in price. For Swiss you are in the range of Hamilton, Tissot, Mido, Certina, and perhaps Rado.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the heads up lava lamp, i've just read from a lot of people that the movado brand has just been kinda going on the downward trend, so i'm kinda hesitant to get him a movado

mpalmer- the stowa's are sweet, where do can i look to purchase them... cuz i dunno how i would on their main site, and their site's prices are a tadd bit pricy for me, assuming my conversions are correct

and dpflaumer- thanks for the mido and certina recommendations, i think i might look into those more

so do you guys think tissots are worth their price??

and side question... where does everyone buy watches like these...... the main site that i'm using right now is just amazon >_<

1 - 8 of 8 Posts