WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can find it online, but it makes me so nervous to think about buying my first expensive watch from a store that I don’t know anything about. Reviews are helpful, but does it matter if there are 100 good reviews if there is also 5 scathing reviews? Would love some advice from more experienced watch buyers! Looking to buy this with peace of mind.
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Difficult to judge from that one pick. For peace of mind ebay is overwhelmingly in favour of the buyer - should you have any issues ebay will support you with a very generous return policy. Further ebay now offer an authentication service certainly in the States - not so sure about Canada.

Regards,

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
14,199 Posts
I understand you being enamored with that beautiful gold dial but may I add a thought? First, the two tone bracelet is missing one of its three removable links making it short of original full length. These older two tone links can be problematical to find for purchase at times and when found can also be quite expensive. Unless your wrist is relatively small, i.e., less than around 7 1/4", the watch may be tight on your wrist. Second, the B13048 is an early Chronomat produced 1984 to 1996 ( pre-chronometer era), is a smaller diameter (39mm) piece, and still can cost as much or more for overhaul than later Chronomat pieces. Further, the asking price for that piece is IMO quite a bit higher than comparable and even later more advanced Chronomat models. True that the all gold dial and rehaut are a bit unique and harder to find than some other models but again, IMO a buyer would have to be absolutely in love with that dial to pay that asking price. That said, watch purchases are of course subjective and personal and it's likely all watch enthusiasts are willing to pay more for their preferences. I know I am anyway... :) It is a lovely piece so keep us apprised of your decision and please post pics upon acquisition!
Best,
Ron

PS. The seller is indeed trustworthy and to answer your original question, a purchase from that seller should indeed be safe for you. :)

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
14,199 Posts
Oops! I just now noticed you are a Lady member of our forum. :) My sizing answer information has suddenly become moot it seems... :) No worries. Please feel free to ask anything else and I'll try to be as helpful as I can. The Ladies in my life have all worn Breitlings and you can see a number of them on my 500PX or Flickr pages. Good luck with your quest!
Kind Regards,
Ron

·
Premium Member
39,622 Posts
Alway "buy" the seller first, with any on line purchase.

Ask any questions in advance, like history, condition, servicing, return policy if any, etc, and ask for more pictures if needed.

Make sure that both parties are in clear agreement prior to purchasing.

If the seller is good, they will take the time to respond to your requests. If not or they dodge the questions, then keep shopping.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops! I just now noticed you are a Lady member of our forum. :) My sizing answer information has suddenly become moot it seems... :) No worries. Please feel free to ask anything else and I'll try to be as helpful as I can. The Ladies in my life have all worn Breitlings and you can see a number of them on my 500PX or Flickr pages. Good luck with your quest!
Kind Regards,
Ron
Thank you so much for both of your extremely helpful responses! I am actually helping my cousin, who is a man :)
I didn't realize this style of Breitling comes in different case sizes. He definitely wants the bigger one. I'll find the example with the white face and post a little later today.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your knowledge with me! I am happy to help my cousin (who has always been there for me, great guy) but I am nervous to be the "authority" on such a big purchase. I am very grateful to have the help of WUS members!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alway "buy" the seller first, with any on line purchase.

Ask any questions in advance, like history, condition, servicing, return policy if any, etc, and ask for more pictures if needed.

Make sure that both parties are in clear agreement prior to purchasing.

If the seller is good, they will take the time to respond to your requests. If not or they dodge the questions, then keep shopping.
Great advice. Can you tell me what kind of answer I'd like to hear regarding servicing history?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Difficult to judge from that one pick. For peace of mind ebay is overwhelmingly in favour of the buyer - should you have any issues ebay will support you with a very generous return policy. Further ebay now offer an authentication service certainly in the States - not so sure about Canada.

Regards,
I will look into this. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts