WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Quick intro. I mod watches, and take them apart (all mechanical so far) I recently fixed my Doctors other watch, and he gave me this watch to see if I can do anything. I haven't removed the caseback yet. But before I go unscrewing things, I wanted to make sure that this is not some ultra special watch (it is to him, but I would feel bad if I am about to disassemble the Mona Lisa and paint it with watercolors!!)

On to the watch. I literally just got it. and am having trouble figuring out what it is. Any help would be appreciated. I will be cracking the caseback, just in case it is something very easy to fix.

I will update this thread as I go, even if no one responds. :) on to the watch!!!

Registered
Please help me 馃槉 I need direction!!! (Accutron from 1969 I think or 70)

It's an Accutron. From the looks of the day and date numbers, it probably still has the original movement. That's the good news.

There are literally a handful of people in this world who can be trusted to work on one without messing it up. Find the recent thread in this sub-forum called 'The Definitive Accutron Service and Repair Thread'. I suggest you give the watch back to the Doctor and refer him to that thread for guidance.

The reason service is hard to come by is that the Accutron movements are electronic, but not quartz. Neither repair people for mechanical watches, nor those who service quartz ones, know what they need. And they don't have parts, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
What mystic nerd said. Edit: If your friend doesn't know the last time it ran, it needs a professional service to keep from wearing out parts that are getting very difficult to find. A battery swap might get it going until it grinds to a halt in six months. End edit.

The inside will look something like the picture below, but be stamped 2182 instead of 2180. More information on the movements can be found here:
The Accutron Watch Page

DSC02688.JPG

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!!!! I think that is the best course of action :) It is a very sentimental piece, and it deserves to be repaired correctly. It has been sitting in his drawer for 10 years. It supposedly stopped when doing yard work.

Registered
They take a 344 battery ,preferably a Renata as the energiser has flattened out on the negative side but will work most times. When installing unlike most battery operated items it is negative UP. the side with writing on it underneath which was why there were so many sold as not working or chucked in the draw as people put the battery in the wrong way. Give it a go . A small tap near the battery will get it going if that鈥檚 all that鈥檚 wrong.
As said above it will need servicing and you will need a microscope to inspect the index wheel and jewels and setting of such. You could practice on a couple of cheapys then give it a go. The 218 service manual is readily available on the net.
Samantha ,moderator on n here knows all there is to know about Bulova
accutrons.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the battery. But as everyone has stated, I am sure it needs servicing. I am going to advise him to do so. I think I could handle oiling and setting the jewels, as I have magnification. But if I am not confident in a fulls service, I would rather see it get taken care of properly (thinking about Thailand by Rob). This was a gift for graduating medical school (not me lol) so I am going to make sure that it gets sent to the correct place and gets the care it deserves!!!

Registered
Your best course of action is to steer clear of doing any work on it. The index wheel and pawl fingers on these are incredibly delicate and once damaged simply cannot be relaxed without buying a donor watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, this is sounding like above my level now. I was going to check the battery for the heck of it, but if it starts up and then doesn't get serviced, that doesn't seem like a plus. It really needs to go to someone above my skill set. Sending him an email, and seeing what he wants me to do. If the answer is leave it in a drawer and not spend the $$$ I am going to be sad for this watch. It deserves to be reanimated. He has money, but I think he is not inclined to spend any of it :( I wish it was mine. I would have it fully restored and enjoy the heck out of it.

FWIW, the day and date flip beautifully and the hands move easily to set the time. But I decided to stop playing around with it for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts