WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have just inherited this Omega from my father. Tried to find some info about it but without success. As far as I know, he bought it in the 50's, since then he's been the one and only owner. It's in perfect condition and precisely working. Movement 30T2 ???? (see last Pic)

Any info you can give me about it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sergio

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch accessory Watch Analog watch Metal Pocket watch
Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Jewellery
Metal
Watch Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery Material property
Tire Auto part Wheel Automotive tire Spoke

I do add some pics of the Omega box I have it in? What do you think, is it the original one??

Text Font Box Wallet Rectangle
Fashion accessory Finger

**EDIT**

I add some pics of the extract as just arrived

Text Pink Material property Technology Square
Text Line Font

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks in good condition. The 9 million number dates it in the range 1926 to 1944, but i would think its in the early part of that range. That type of hands were popular in 1930-40s.

You need to identify the caliber number, by looking at the movement in more detail under a loupe (x10 or30 is best)

Once you,ve done that, please post here again. I,m sure others will chime in and recognise the nice dial

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forgot to add, I,m sure you know that the case is 18 carot gold ( confirmed by 18k and 750 ( 750 parts per 1000)), and the ladys head symbol (Helvetia). The hammerhead with 149 in it means that the case wAs made by Wyss and Cie (company), in Bienne. They registered with the Swiss authorities in 1934 apparently, so this suggest that your watch was made somewhere between 1934 -44.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
Forgot to add, I,m sure you know that the case is 18 carot gold ( confirmed by 18k and 750 ( 750 parts per 1000)),
Then why does the back edge of the case have "metal" stamped into it? And it appears the "gold" is flaking off by the crown? (both visible in third pic).

P.S. I do realize gold is a metal, I just thought it an odd detail if it is 18k gold.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
That's a nice looking 30T2 with the less common nickel plating on the movement which can be confirmed by looking under the balance. The serial dates it to the very early forties - the thirty series was launched in '39 which gives a lower limit, but I'd say 40 or 41. The dial is extremely uncommon and rather nice, but I don't think the crown is original.

What else do you want to know?

*edit* that's what happens when you start a post and then get distracted...

HBL, I don't know about the apparent flaking, but that looks like a movement spacer that is being identified as not being gold and doesn't refer to the case as a whole.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Thanks for your reply Paul,

Is it possible that the movement No is 30T2???

Thanks

View attachment 788726
Yes it is possible and probable because the movement is stamped 30T2 under the balance. (nice pic btw) So its a 30t2. A very nice and very dependable movement. (and m4 mentioned to you it has the less common nickle finish) Its a really nice watch you inherited. The dial is unusual and if its solid gold? ..that would make the watch even more unusual.
(though I too think its its a little strange, like HBL, that the case is stamped 'metal' and the back is hallmarked. odd but.. possibly it was a presentation back that was never inscribed?)

Reactions: snegri

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the info provided. I know it's hard to say, but any idea about the model name / No? or where to find? I've been looking for catalogues dd early 40's but could not find any.
Now that I know more about it, thanks to you all, I'm more decided to take it to my local Omega service station for cleaning and adjusting and then keep it with my collection.

Thanks!!

Sergio

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
That's a bit of a puzzle - usually the model number, for example something like OT 2481, would be where your number 10245598 is. The case looks a lot like the gold chronometer cases but obviously this isn't a chronometer. I'm assuming that it is around 35mm? The model wouldn't usually have had a name, that came later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a bit of a puzzle - usually the model number, for example something like OT 2481, would be where your number 10245598 is. The case looks a lot like the gold chronometer cases but obviously this isn't a chronometer. I'm assuming that it is around 35mm? The model wouldn't usually have had a name, that came later.
Thanks M4tt!!. And by the way, it's 35 mm

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I can't help feeling that you have got something a bit special there. I'd talk to an expert about the crown which would normally only be gold plated (because it is a service item which is expected to wear) but wouldn't be steel. I'd also get it onto a leather strap as that bracelet wouldn't be original. The 30T2 is one of Omega's finest movements and perfectly capable of modern standards of accuracy with a little TLC. I wear several similar 30 series models of a similar vintage as everyday watches and they are a real pleasure to wear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
M4tt,
The crown does not seem original on the picture, just because of the light I used for the pictures. As you said, it's gold plated and worn out, but with a closer look on the inner part of it, found that it's still golden. Anyway that's not big deal as it's easily serviceable in case needed.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
IMO, that's the best part. Dials with the word "OMEGA" on a gold plaque are highly prized among collectors.

I've never seen one quite like that before.

Very nice heirloom,
gatorcpa
Of course I cant tell for sure but I think the hands look like solid gold which would lead me to belive the (engine turned?) dial is also gold which if true would make it even more highly prized by collectors. The only way to find out is ask the jeweler to test it when you have it cleaned and serviced. (you say its running very well? It shouldnt cost very much to have it serviced then and I would think an experienced watchmaker could handle this movement as well as Authorized Omega could and for a LOT less. Perhaps that ring stamped 'metal' is a retaining ring and not part of the case. Also-if it does turn out to be an all gold watch you might want to splurge and replace that crown with a solid gold one. Again-excellent and unique vintage Om. Good luck

Reactions: snegri

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Of course I cant tell for sure but I think the hands look like solid gold which would lead me to belive the (engine turned?) dial is also gold which if true would make it even more highly prized by collectors. The only way to find out is ask the jeweler to test it when you have it cleaned and serviced.
Wouldn't the back of the dial have a stamp/hallmark if indeed gold? It should be checked if you have it serviced. I get excited by my AT teak deal, but yours is really something special, as M4tt says. What a fine specimen all around - dial, hands, numerals font, Omega on plaque. I can't imagine this was mass-produced. Are those tiny beads in the ring around the dial or just depressions as minute markers? So very unusual and handsome.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
That's a crazy dial... I like it! :-!
Actually, its called a 'ribbon dial'. I forgot. I have one but not nearly as decorated or nice as this. I thought the font was warped but it turned out it was just conforming to the ribbons bumps. I only wish mine had the little plaque

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I can't help feeling that you have got something a bit special there. I'd talk to an expert about the crown which would normally only be gold plated (because it is a service item which is expected to wear) but wouldn't be steel. I'd also get it onto a leather strap as that bracelet wouldn't be original. The 30T2 is one of Omega's finest movements and perfectly capable of modern standards of accuracy with a little TLC. I wear several similar 30 series models of a similar vintage as everyday watches and they are a real pleasure to wear.
The crown on an Omega this old probably wasn't signed, and yes, it would have been gold colored. This looks like a Omega branded replacement.

The bracelet looks period correct, and while likely not made by Omega, it could have been fitted by the original retailer at the time of purchase. So long as it isn't a "hair puller", I'd leave it alone, especially if it is solid gold like the case.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.