WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me to choose: Hamilton vs. Buran vs. Poljot

I own a Hamilton Chrono that I love. It keeps great time and the quality is superb. How does Hamilton compare to the Russian watches, especially Buran-Volmax and Poljot, in terms of quality and reliability? Or is that like trying to compare apples and oranges? Specifically, here are three watches I am considering and their prices are comparable.

(1) Hamilton Automatic Jazzmaster: $328.00 w/ Free Shipping.

MOVEMENT
Automatic Movement
Stainless steel

CASE SIZE
41 mm

THICKNESS
8 mm

DIAL(FACE) COLOR
Silver

BRACELET
Leather

CLASP
Foldover

CRYSTAL
Sapphire

WATER RESISTANCE
50 meters

(2) Buran Skylark Mechanical Chronograph
#3133-2121114
: $350.00 + $10.00 Shipping.

Movement - 3133 Chrono, new case design, new pusher design
Case - Stainless Steel
Size - 38mm
Thickness - 11mm
Dial - Silver
Crystal -Curved Sapphire
Screwed glassback, Decorated movement
Lim. Edition

(3) Poljot (not Volmax) Chronoruss Lunar 2 Chronograph
#31679/7241007 : $319.00 w/ Free Shipping.

31679 Chronograph in Stainless Steel
Leatherband
Mineral Glass
Moonphase
Glassback
38mm x 13mm

Which one would you choose and why???

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
One an Auto and the other is a Chrono so depends on what you want but like someone else said based on looks I would choose the Hammy but if you have one already then go for the Buran:-!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Guys,
I added a Poljot into the mix. What do you think of it? I like it because it is different. We cannot buy watches with a design like this in the USA. I have never seen a coin edge model in any American watch shop online or "in person." :thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless having the chronograph function is a "must have" for you, I would go with the Hammy. It is more aesthetically pleasing, IMHO, and has a larger case diameter. The Hammy is also an automatic, which is less maintenance as long as you wear it (don't have to wind the watch every 36-40 hours), where the other two look to be mechanical. I don't know if that matters to you or not. The Hammy is also a Swiss Made movement, which again, I don't know if that matters to you. I have the Hamilton Khaki Automatic Chronogragh and I love the watch, so I may be a little biased.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Based on looks go for the Buran, the Hamilton is too 'familiar' looking. Also as for Swiss Made, I don't think so. It may house an ETA movement and Hamilton is part os the Swatch group but it's not 'Swiss Made'.

One other observation the Buran and Poljot are too expensive these days IMHO, drop Pacifichrono a PM, he may be able to help. Lastly, I would second the Tissot suggestion, yes, Swiss Made and in your price range.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Boy I have to agree with Starfire and NEG here, the Tissot is ultra-nice!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I dearly love Poljot, as I do Hamilton, but recently, I have run into a Poljot problem.................If there is a warranty problem with a Poljot, it goes back to Moscow. Even with the AD actively involved, I am still waiting on my Poljot Flying Tank purchased last summer..............it seems it will spend a long, cold winter in the Motherland. Hamilton service, in the US, on average, takes about 6 weeks!:think:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boy I have to agree with Starfire and NEG here, the Tissot is ultra-nice!
Um, cough, um...I already have the Tissot-T-ring w/ a black dial. :-d I also have a Hamilton silver chrono, but I do not own a Russian watch yet. They are pricey for what you get, but then again, the Russian designs are very different and you cannot find anything quite like them in the USA, especially the coin edge models. I happen to like that Chronoruss by Poljot for this reason. I know that Hamilton is an excellent watch, but I have to agree with NEG that the Hammy is very "familiar looking," whereas the Poljot is unique. Even the Buran is striking with its textured dial, but not as unique a design as the Poljot. More replies most welcome....You have all been there before when it comes to choosing another watch. Half the fun is the making a decision.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I dearly love Poljot, as I do Hamilton, but recently, I have run into a Poljot problem.................If there is a warranty problem with a Poljot, it goes back to Moscow. Even with the AD actively involved, I am still waiting on my Poljot Flying Tank purchased last summer..............it seems it will spend a long, cold winter in the Motherland. Hamilton service, in the US, on average, takes about 6 weeks!:think:
And so, O King of the Trias Republic, do you like the Hammy or the Buran? Or........................????? What about these?

:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-s

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
I love my Hamilton and I love my Poljot chronos, my vote is the white dial English Strela but that is the one I have. If I were to buy another Poljot chrono I would go with the Cyrillic Strela. I have to agree with Ken that if you have a problem with a Poljot it isn't likely to be fixed as quickly as a Hamilton.

My Hamilton Khaki Navy LE says Swiss Made, that is good enough for me.

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
615 Posts
I sent my Aviator back for repair. It took 4 months. Frank Spar and Tom were great it keeping me informed, but it does take a long time.

BTW, I like the first two but not the third. It would depend if I wanted an automatic or a chronograph.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Did somebody say "Strela?"

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love my Hamilton and I love my Poljot chronos, my vote is the white dial English Strela but that is the one I have. If I were to buy another Poljot chrono I would go with the Cyrillic Strela. I have to agree with Ken that if you have a problem with a Poljot it isn't likely to be fixed as quickly as a Hamilton.

My Hamilton Khaki Navy LE says Swiss Made, that is good enough for me.

Cheers,
Griff
Then why bother to purchase a Russian watch if repairing it is such a hassle? Is it easier to repair a Buran-Volmax purchased from an authorized dealer in the USA than it is to repair a Poljot-First Moscow Factory watch?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
And so, O King of the Trias Republic, do you like the Hammy or the Buran? Or........................????? What about these?

For my humble 2 cents: I like the Hammy, (but then...I don't have one. Yet.)
I really like the Poljot you show, BUT am not too keen on the silver dial. I lust after a Poljot Journey :) There's something about Burans that worry me...are they made well enough? I don't have the knowledge of them or their history to make an educated comment on them, however. Of the 3 strelas I like the first and last!
That's my 2 cents! Well, maybe it was more like 3 cents :-d Hope I helped in some small way!
Dave

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: Please help me to choose: Hamilton vs. Buran vs. Poljot

I own a Hamilton Chrono that I love. It keeps great time and the quality is superb. How does Hamilton compare to the Russian watches, especially Buran-Volmax and Poljot, in terms of quality and reliability? Or is that like trying to compare apples and oranges? Specifically, here are three watches I am considering and their prices are comparable.

(1) Hamilton Automatic Jazzmaster: $328.00 w/ Free Shipping.

MOVEMENT
Automatic Movement
Stainless steel

CASE SIZE
41 mm

THICKNESS
8 mm

DIAL(FACE) COLOR
Silver

BRACELET
Leather

CLASP
Foldover

CRYSTAL
Sapphire

WATER RESISTANCE
50 meters

(2) Buran Skylark Mechanical Chronograph
#3133-2121114
: $350.00 + $10.00 Shipping.

Movement - 3133 Chrono, new case design, new pusher design
Case - Stainless Steel
Size - 38mm
Thickness - 11mm
Dial - Silver
Crystal -Curved Sapphire
Screwed glassback, Decorated movement
Lim. Edition

(3) Poljot (not Volmax) Chronoruss Lunar 2 Chronograph
#31679/7241007 : $319.00 w/ Free Shipping.

31679 Chronograph in Stainless Steel
Leatherband
Mineral Glass
Moonphase
Glassback
38mm x 13mm

Which one would you choose and why???

The Poljot...love the way it looks from the side. And the way I look at it if it takes 4-6 months to get a watch back from repair...you best buy a new one as a fill in!!:-d

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Then why bother to purchase a Russian watch if repairing it is such a hassle? Is it easier to repair a Buran-Volmax purchased from an authorized dealer in the USA than it is to repair a Poljot-First Moscow Factory watch?
Actually, I bought that bracelet from JL.

Regarding warranty repairs, watches bought from USA ADs are sent to Moscow for repair. European ADs MAY have Russian repairmen on staff, but it's best to ask up front. Also, make sure you buy your Volmax (Aviator, Buran, and Shturmanskie) from an AD, because Volmax just issued a new policy saying they will only honor warranties on watches sold by ADs. A partial list of NON-ADs is listed in their news release here:

http://www.aviatorwatch.ru/en/news

1 - 20 of 58 Posts