WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some help please.
Although I have posted infrequently, I regularly visit these forums and am impressed by the level of help and support you give.

I am looking to pull the trigger on an omega railmaster. I like the 39mm and 42mm. I have 2 options. Both are similar price. The 39mm is in the UK and was listed then removed from ebay. The seller still wishes to sell but I've seen it listed previously on ebay under a different ebay username and a different location in the UK (same serial number on the pics of the warranty card) . I have asked the seller to clarify but the reply was "are you still interested in the watch - I'm happy either way". - perhaps a little dodgy?

The second example is the 42mm size sold from Spain. I was contacted through WUS in the sales corner. Seems more trustworthy and has posted here on WUS in the past.... but: a) WIll I have to pay import duty b) Am I setting myself up for a fall if I buy unseen from a private seller in Spain?

Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Some help please.
Although I have posted infrequently, I regularly visit these forums and am impressed by the level of help and support you give.
Obviously you've never read one of my posts.

I am looking to pull the trigger on an omega railmaster. I like the 39mm and 42mm. I have 2 options. Both are similar price.
The Railmaster is a looker, but it belongs in the "wears large" category. I have tried on a 42mm and felt it simply looked too large for my 71/4 inch wrist. It's not just the 42mm size but everything about the watch is "king sized". So personally, I'd prefer the smaller model. But.....

The 39mm is in the UK and was listed then removed from ebay. The seller still wishes to sell but I've seen it listed previously on ebay under a different ebay username and a different location in the UK (same serial number on the pics of the warranty card) . I have asked the seller to clarify but the reply was "are you still interested in the watch - I'm happy either way". - perhaps a little dodgy?
This would scare me off. With all the crap that goes on with ebay sales my general rule is that if ANYTHING looks, feels, or smells odd then I pass. Here is a watch that hasn't sold Why? Too much? Something others have seen that you're missing? eBay made him pull it after a complaint? We don't know but there WAS a reason. Add in the different user name/ location and it's got my red flag waving arm making like a windmill in a tornado.
I might meet him INSIDE an Omega dealer/watchmaker's for verification- but I'd take along a friend.
A mean-looking friend.
A big, mean-looking friend.
A big, mean-looking, friend with a concealed carry permit.

The second example is the 42mm size sold from Spain. I was contacted through WUS in the sales corner. Seems more trustworthy and has posted here on WUS in the past.... but: a) WIll I have to pay import duty b) Am I setting myself up for a fall if I buy unseen from a private seller in Spain?

Thank you so much for your help.
Depends on who contacted you. There are scammers here, though rare. Not crazy about him contacting you, but you never know. Ask for references.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. My preference is the 39mm size but I think you're right... Too many red flags. As for the 42mm, I've got 7" wrists and trying the 42mm tudor ranger was as big as I'd want to go- looked good but no bigger. Would you say the Railmaster wears bigger than the tudor?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Always buy the seller. Verify the seller is who he says he is, honest sellers will give you information you can use to verify that they are legitimate - name, workplace, personal and work email addresses, phone numbers, references, photos of the watch to verify they have it, etc.

As mentioned, they do wear large. The Railmaster wears larger than the Tudor because the Railmaster is all dial.

The Railmaster is not overly rare, they come up for sale regularly. Keep a watch here until you find one that works for you.

railmaster - WatchRecon

·
Registered
416 Posts
Couldnt have said it better. There are scammers here for sure, but by the seller. Do your due diligence and ask for references etc and youll be fine.
Always buy the seller. Verify the seller is who he says he is, honest sellers will give you information you can use to verify that they are legitimate - name, workplace, personal and work email addresses, phone numbers, references, photos of the watch to verify they have it, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts