WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I have been researching various watch brands for few weeks now, and this forum has been immensely helpful in the process. After a great deal of research I had shortlisted one model each from Breitling (Montbrillant), Cartier (Cartlier De Calibre), and Zenith (El Primero Stratos). From pricing standpoint Montbrillant is the most expensive (MSRP $18k), whereas the Cartlier De Calibre and El Primero Stratos carry almost identical retail of $15k. After giving this much thought I eliminated the Montbrillant, and now its down to the Cartier versus Zenith. I am attaching pictures of both models herewith. I absolutely love both of these watches and both of them have something I like. From this forum I understand that Zenith's movement is very well respected whereas the Cartier De Calibre is relatively more recent. Here is my question for experts and the watch enthusiasts: Which model would you choose, and why? I am looking forward to the insights. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Obviously you have to go with what appeals to you most in the end. I've never had a two tone watch so can't comment specifically on your exact choices. I have owned the Original 1969 with the El Primero movement, sold it, and can say it is the watch I miss the most out of all the watches I've sold over the last few years. In fact, I'm really close to picking another one up.
That said, I'm also on my second Calibre de Cartier (non chrono version in stainless steel). First was the black dial on the strap, which I wasn't a fan of because of the strap/clasp that it had...now I have the white dial on the bracelet which I like much better. I actually sold my 1969 to pick up my current version of the Calibre, and while I still like the Cartier (wearing it as I type this) I still really really miss my 1969. Probably didn't help with your decision but I do think this post reminded me how much I miss my 1969. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
From a movement point of view, I find the new Cartier in-house chronograph a little underwhelming. Its finishing is fairly basic, the pushers have a springy feel that don't compare well to the the firmness of the EP, the Stratos has a flyback movement which to me is more interesting, and while the EP is a bit small in a 45 mm case the Cartier movement seems to be even smaller.

From a looks perspective the Cartier is perhaps more versatile, while the Stratos is more firmly rooted in the sport category. So despite liking the Stratos better, I think that the choice would depend on what type of use you want to get out of the watch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts