WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any help in identifying the movement and date of this AVIA 15J watch. On the inside it reads “swiss made 15 jewels”, case back side have TRAIAS ROLLED GOLD"
665.JPG 663.JPG 62.JPG

There has another ORIS 7 Jewels manual wind, the movement is ORIS Cal. 652 KIF, help in identifying date of this watch
657.JPG 660.JPG

Thanks.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,248 Posts
The Avia appears to be early to mid 1940's style while the Oris appears to be late 1950's to early 1960's. The design used on the Oris was very popular with brands such as Atlantic, Copernicus and others found in europe. Love the arabic numerals on that Oris!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi There,

Not sure on the Avia... would guess it dates to the 30s/40s.. the rolled gold case has seen better days.

The Oris looks in good shape... info on the movement:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Oris 652

I would guess this dates to the 50s/60s...

The 'kif' relates to the shock protection (like incabloc) - the clover shape over the centre of the balance wheel...

Has the case back got a 'Oris' logo? as this can help to date the watch

Link to oris logo timeline:

http://www.oris.ch/oris/logo.aspx?ln=en&page=6

The difference between 51 and 60 is very little, but it may help to narrow it down!

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
The style of the Avia dates it to the late 30's, the 40s or early 50s. The ORIS is probably a 60's or 70's watch. Others may know for sure.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I would say thats the '60's logo...

That said, I have not seen a case back that says water resistant, when the dial says waterproof!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Here is my 60s Oris diver

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I was counting the lines in the logo:-(
I was looking at where the lines finished in relation to the 'R' in Oris..

And after I said I have not seen a waterproof dial with water resistant case back... mine has!!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Its a shame these watches dont have serial numbers like Omega, Tissot, etc which date the watch...

Looking at the numbers on your dial, I would guess at early 60s... where mine is late 60s (to early 70s)

Either way, its a nice watch!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sparcster, yours ORIS is beautiful, just wandering your has 17 jewels, but mine only has 7 jewels, it's the difference between highend and lowend?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Sparcster, yours ORIS is beautiful, just wandering your has 17 jewels, but mine only has 7 jewels, it's the difference between highend and lowend?
Mine has a 715 cal movement with date... I am not sure where either of ours would fit in - hi/low end... If you look at omegas from this period, I would say these would be classed at high end... Mine may have cost a bit more at the time than yours, but both are 'mid' range... I could be wrong... not an Oris expert!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts