WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear forum members, I am new member of the forum, living in Croatia. I do not have experience in watch collecting and would like to ask for help to identify one vintage pocket watch.
This watch is from my grandfather and is at the moment dismantled and in very bad shape and a lot of movement parts is missing. But anyway I would like to repair this watch one day. Can you tell me something about this watch, and maybe where is possible to find parts this watch. It has porcelain dial with REGULATEUR inscription. The case is open face with double back, 67mm in diameter (movement 55 mm). There is no any sign on the movement.
In attachments are the pictures of the watch.
Thank you very much for any help.

Hrvoje

Attachments

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Dobrodošli from a Hajduk Spilt fan! I am afraid that a repair of this watch is not worth wile and I guess finding parts will be nearly impossible, as you are not only looking for movement parts but for the hands, crystal etc. as well. If it's a family heirloom, keep it as it is.

A donor watch with the same movement would also not make much sense. In the end, there is not much left besides the case of the old watch.

The watch must be either Swiss or French. The name 'regulateur' was used by Baumgartner Freres SA, Fabrique d'Ebauches, Grenchen und Reconvilier, Switzerland (but they are just makers of raw movements) and Pétolat Freres & Anguenot, Besançon, Morteau und Villers-le-Lac, France.

There is also, as meantioned before, a Portuguese company.

This here could be your watch with all the parts left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STDQbDUUGC8

This must the the Portuguese company with another model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7pFtOaYnPg

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
buying a complete one would make more sense, the current one looks like it needs 90% to be recreated, even the crystal bezel is missing
they are poping up on ebay time from time

Vintage REGULATEUR ANCRE 15 Jewels Goliath Pocket Watch | eBay
GREAT GOLIATH POCKET WATCH REGULATEUR / montre gousset
You hit the nail on the head! And UK to Croatia is still free of customs charges before the curtain falls after the Brexit (although I can fully understand to leave to wrotten EU and the madhouse in Brussels).

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
You hit the nail on the head! And UK to Croatia is still free of customs charges before the curtain falls after the Brexit (although I can fully understand to leave to wrotten EU and the madhouse in Brussels).
that's quite sad, this will be the end of my collecting because paying +21% and 9eur customs declaration fee will be out of sanity for collecting on a budget..

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
that's quite sad, this will be the end of my collecting because paying +21% and 9eur customs declaration fee will be out of sanity for collecting on a budget..
Maybe Scotland comes back in and then they could bring the stuff up to Kelso accross the border and from there into the EU.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I hear ya.

Customs charges are part of why I don't buy from the US (or anywhere outside the EU, for that matter). I've got a total of 26% tax (23% VAT + 3% tax on watches) calculated from the sum of the declared worth of the parcel + shipping costs, and only the cost of shipping from the US - at least via companies like UPS- is well north of 100 bucks. So if I'd buy a watch for 80 bucks, and the shipping alone would be 120, that'd turn an 80 bucks bargain into a not-a-bargain sum of 252 bucks. VAT exemptions within most EU countries concern parcels of a declared worth below 45 euro, but of course, the customs office filth can open parcels from time to time, for largely no reason, or tax a parcel as they please, even if it has a declared value below 45 euro. This is madness.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
What is the button next to the stem?

Chad
The setting pin- it's a pin-set movement. To set the watch, keep it pressed in, while turning the crown (obviously no pulling it out, as a lever or pin set movement has the crown fixed in one position only) to set the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts