WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to begin on this watch. With no serial numbers or identifying codes I have to leave this one for the seasoned experts.

As you can see in the picture, there is a small fracture passing through the crystal that I now must replace.

Any ideas about the size of the crystal/best place to source these kind of parts?

Also, what is the name/date of this watch?

Thanks in advance.

longines.JPG

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It looks like a nice oversized (could be me tricked by the design) early 1950's model and the serial number is on the movment and will date it to a specific year.

You can change the crystal yourself but you must measure the size as there are so many different sizes to be had. Then we have the style of crystal and if it's pressure fit or glued and this will also determine the size as a pressure fit crystal needs to be slightly wider then the hole it's put into. So my suggestion is that you take it to a watchmaker and have it done correctly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thanks for your response.
I'm not a novice at this but I am a bit hesitant to deal with such an old watch, since the bulk of my experience is with newer seikos.
I think I will heed your advice and go find a watchmaker, it needs to be cleaned and regulated anyway.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
Ah, thanks for your response.
I'm not a novice at this but I am a bit hesitant to deal with such an old watch, since the bulk of my experience is with newer seikos.
I think I will heed your advice and go find a watchmaker, it needs to be cleaned and regulated anyway.

Thanks again!
CPL - if you can get serial numbers and inside movement/hallmark pics, send them direct to the Heritage questions section of the Longines web site - Longines is the best around to revert within 48 hours explaining when they produced the watch, it's broad details and when/where they invoiced it to their country distributors - I have done this for 7 Longines vintage and they always revert ASAP - good luck, Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It looks like it would house a Longines calibre 30L, which was their top of the line model calibre from its introduction around 1955 until it ceased production in 1967. It was the mass-market version of the 30Z which won many chronometre competitions over its life against strong competition from Omega and Zenith. Originally it was intended for the Longines Flagship model, but Longines had a habit of simultaneously having unnamed models which would have retailed for less but still contain the same components as the named models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts