WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

please help with Omega Sea Master Automatic 2512.50

964 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  imprezagtr 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the watch collection community, and this is my first post :)

Anyways, I'd like to buy myself a Christmas gift, and I narrowed down the search to model # 2512.50. It's a beautiful watch, and I love it. The retail price is about $4500, but I'm planning to buy it online for cheaper price of around $2700. I've found a few "reputable" company that aren't authorized dealers, but sell authentic watches at a deep discount. They have lots pretty good reviews

When I receive the watch, how can I tell if it's real or not without opening the case? Or would that be the only solution? I own a Tag Heuer Link, and I know the back of the case on each end, there's a laser engraving of the model number. Is this the case with the Omega watches too?

From this reference website, http://www.uhrenhandel.de/store/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-chronograph-251250-p-4040.html
I see that the back of the case is engraved with "950".

All of you watch collectors and experts, please give some insights as to what to look out for or ways to tell fake from reals. If it's fake, I'd return it and if they don't, I'll charge back on my credit card, so it's not a big risk.

Thanks in advance,
Will

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Will,

there's always a risk when dealing with online retailers since you can't inspect it first before you buy. First thing I would do is search to see if anything has been written about the online retailer. Then check their reseller rating. That should be the first step in insuring that you're getting an authentic timepiece.

The 950 you see is the bracelet model number so that won't do you any good.

The red dot you see between the case and the caseback is put there by Omega when it leaves the factory so you can tell if the caseback has been open or not. Also, newer Omegas come with an anti-counterfeit stamp. It looks like a globe with stars and an omega symbol.

The best thing to do to ensure you're getting an authentic watch is to match the Serial Number on the watch to your hang tag and the Omega cards. And of course, to take it to your local AD and compare to see if everything is in the right place.

Good luck. It's a beautiful watch. And oh yeah, welcome.

#3 ·
Hello Will,
950= bracelet reference,and iff you look at the image on the link, you will see in the left corner a white tag covering the watch number,furthermore,this german site is very reputable.All they sell is genuine. You can read their feedback on the german bay.
Grtz,Dom

#4 ·
Hi Ambiorix and Presario,

Thank you guys for the input. Those tips are very helpful. Another quick question: is there a way I can verify with Omega that the serial number is legit?

I'm planning to buy it directly from Amazon. It'd be shipped by Amazon, not third party seller. Although the price is slightly higher than the first website I was looking at, I'm pretty sure Amazon won't sell fake watches just to take the chance of ruining their reputation.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.