WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a digital watch I would like to modify. I'm always seeing pictures of modified G-shocks so I figured this would be the place to come.

I have a Nike digital to which I would like to add a colored filter to the display. the idea is to turn the screen from a normal positive display to an amber filtered display like this one:

I'm switching a multi-function ABC module into the black case pictured above. however the module only has a positive display. The module I'm removing (which only has an altimeter function) already has this amber film over the screen. I was told that the mod if as simple as applying similarly colored automotive window tinting film over the display screen. Does anyone here know someone who can do this for me?

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I don't know who could do it for you, but applying the window tint on such a small display would be pretty easy (assuming you have the module out already).

Applying automotive window tinting just requires you to trim a piece to fit the display well, then use a little glass cleaner under the film so you can slide and place it where you want. Then, use a plastic straighedge and squeeze out the fluid. It takes 24 hrs for the window tint glue to fully set. If you mess up the tint, you can reapply the window cleaner, which will release the glue, and you can move it back around, or remove it to try a different piece.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Quite a few people on the forum have done what you're asking. ADAN springs to mind.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ADAN springs to mind.
Thanks, I'll look him up. Do you know if he accepts projects from other people?

If he doesn't take outside projects, can someone please recommend anyone who does? This would be my first digital mod and I'd really hate to screw it up, as I really like the watch.

Also thanks to the other person for the step by step process.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
No problem. I don't think you could mess up putting the tint on. If it gets the internals a little wet, just let it dry well. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just a side note, from when I would tint my own windows, I wouldn't use glass cleaner on the tint. It will fade the tint over time to a light purple color, problem is it may not be even. I was always told to use a mixture of soap and water.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Everyone who's added the tint has used coloured plastic film. If you do a search you'll find some information about it. I'm about to go to bed as I've been up for 18 hours and about to pass out so you'll have to look for yourself I'm afraid.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Just a side note, from when I would tint my own windows, I wouldn't use glass cleaner on the tint. It will fade the tint over time to a light purple color, problem is it may not be even. I was always told to use a mixture of soap and water.
Good point. I should have said to use a glass cleaner without ammonia. It's the ammonia that turns the tint purple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts