WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father is retiring this coming year. I want to get him a nice gift. Since I'm a WIS, I figure I would get him a watch. Here are the requirements:

-Easy to read with big indices/numbers. No chronographs please.

-Big date.

-Perpetual calendar.

-Quart/solar/kinetic...He will not like the high maintenance of an automatic.

-Somewhat dressy...This is a preference but not a necessity.

-Less than $500. I could afford more but he would kill me if I spent too much.

-Preferably bracelet and not a strap.

I don't know if such a watch exists, but if it does, I'm sure the people on this board will know about it! Thanks, everyone!:-!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the high maintenance of an automatic? Service after 5 years?
I know that he won't wear it everyday so the power reserve will go to zero and then he will have to reset the time and date. I love autos but not my dad.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Didn't think about Tissot. That's a good suggestion.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I would also recommend Tissot. Check out the Hamilton Jazz Master as well. And ESQ makes mostly quartz watches. Maybe you will find one there. Good luck, and let us know how goes!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'd say both Tissot and Seiko would be good. And sorry for not reading your first post well enough, perpetual calendar and mechanical watch would not be remotely possible at $500... :-x

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both Citizen eco-drives and Seiko kinetics come to mind.
I looked at Seiko and Citizens but there are not any except 2 Japan Promaster Citizens that are quartz, perpetual, AND have big numbers. I would get it for him but I was hoping that there would be one that has those features AND big date.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you can live w/o the perpetual calendar my Accutron Excursion seems to be pretty close to what you are looking for.
It can also track three time zones ('normal' hands - 1st, subdial at 6 - 2nd, rotating bezel - 3rd).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent recommendation, guys, I really like the Accutron and Citizen. Just wished the Citizen didn't have the subdials.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts