WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 5 watches. I'm trying to plan out my next 5 watches as I've found from previously when my collection has been larger that 10 seems to be the ideal number for my rotation.

At some stage I plan on adding another gold Omega and a Rolex OP OP 36 mm. That's medium-long term though.

I'm happy to play around with some cheaper watches in the other 3 slots, don't mind if I do some flipping. I'm trying to find pieces to fall in love with.

Requirements:

Any mechanical must be both automatic and hand-winding. It should also be complication-free, I don't like hassle. That means no date even.

Quartz is totally fine by me. Date/Day on quartz is fine, just not interested in moon phase or perpetual calendar. If there's no seconds hand, that's also fine.

I maybe wouldn't mind adding a feature heavy quartz.

No wooden watches.

Sapphire crystal is a must.

Please don't say 'get this for $1200'. I want short intervals between these purchases.

$400 is basically my upper limit, BUT the cheaper the better.

I tend to favour dress style over dive style or pilot style.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just to clarify - i'm not necessarily looking for people to recommend 3 watches in their post. if 3 people recommend one watch each that works for me too. :)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I would just be happy with a cocktail time and a SKX007. Obviously with the SKX being out due to the hand winding, maybe I'd consider an SCBM023 if you can find one, SKX looks but perpetual calendar and a long battery life wouldn't be bad for a pick up and go kinda watch. I know you said lean towards dress watches, but a decent diver I always fun to own.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check out steinhart. For simple watches the Nav b-uhr is around 400 I think and it's very nice. You could try the one with the 6497 Unitas for handwinding and the Eta-2824 elabore for automatic. The manual winding is 50 more expensive though. And they also have a version with the soprod A-10 but that's around 540 so not in your range.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Paulo, you're a 2500+ post veteran and would not have expected this scatter gun, disorganized post from someone like you. You're a big boy surely you can pick out some affordables yourself.

Just checking, are you off your medication? Just remember, lithium is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm yeah you guys actually know me too well. Probably buy a Pebble Time Steel, a Seiko Arctura and something else.

Does this Arctura look dated to you people, or do you think it holds up?

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Number 3 might be a Candino again.

This one's only 5 mm slim, and I've been missing a textured black face since my SSA083J1 went. Candinos are SO good for the money. And it's like, Candino, can dino, can i be a dinosaur, yes you can.

Oh yeah, sorry for wasting everyone's time. :(

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
You really should have a honkin' big G-Shock at some point in your life.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You really should have a honkin' big G-Shock at some point in your life.
can't do it. Edifice would be more my thing Casio wise but the bracelets are too rattly.

Correction: Certina Caimano not DS-4. Half the price of the DS-4 and I slightly prefer the Caimano aesthetic.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I don't buy the story of Sapphire crystal, these are my suggestions:

1) Diver: Seiko Turtle
2) Dress: Swatch System 51
3) Chrono: Seagull 1963

All together they are about $700.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Start with a Steinhart. I am not a fan of homages but they are good watches for the price.

Then get a Orient Star power reserve dress watch - i've seen it in KL for < $300, so you should get similar pricing on it.

For the third watch, go with something micro. A sports watch but without a rotating bezel. Something that is between the casual Steinhart and the dressy Orient Star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
vkalia: I think I know the Orient you're talking about. Unfortunately it's currently not feasible for me to source one that cheap, but yeah, I like that model. I owned an Orient Eminence which is sapphire and has the same bracelet as many of the Stars and the finishing was good, but $400+ would be a significant amount towards said Omega.

I actually ordered a Pebble Time Steel, curiosity got the better of me. I went for the gold-plated with burgundy strap, it may look a little gaudy...but it was the cheapest version on Amazon new and not from a dodgy third party seller, and I think I actually like its appearance, let's see. I'll follow up in this thread anyway. I don't mind plated in this case as you'd only keep a smartwatch a coupla years anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts