WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I scored a rather attractive Raketa UFO variant, and it has the following engraving at the back. Can someone translate ut? It looks like a 50 year birthday gift:

Btw, this is the front, quite a nice one! The date can be set by pulling out the crown, the day setting needs turning forward. Btw what are the days of the week in cyrillic abbreviations?

Thanks already

·
Registered
694 Posts
Russian days of the week & abbreviations:

EnglishRussianAbbreviation
MondayПонедельник (Ponedel'nik)ПНД (PND)
TuesdayВторник (Vtornik)ВТР (VTR)
WednesdayСреда (Sreda)СРД (SRD)
ThursdayЧетверг (Chetverg)ЧТВ (ChTV)
FridayПятница (Piatnitsa)ПТН (PTN)
SaturdayСуббота (Subbota)СБТ (SBT)
SundayВоскресенье (Voskresen'e)ВСК (VSK)

You can bookmark that table for future reference here: Russian Days of the Week

My Russian language skills are rudimentary and I have difficulty reading hand-written script, so I'll leave the engraving to someone more qualified.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, here we go )
The sign on the back says that it is a gift for 50 years from colleagues, working in bridge building sector.
There are three words around this sign (made by producer) - waterresistant, shock-resistant, balanced.

As for the days.
I do not now, what kind of abbreviations you got for other days, but what you got on the picture is the abbreviation from Tuesday.
In Russian it is ВТОРНИК (full world) for Tuesday, abbreviated to ВТР.
Other days are:
ПОНЕДЕЛЬНИК - Monday
СРЕДА - Wednesday
ЧЕТВЕРГ - Thursday
ПЯТНИЦА - Friday
СУББОТА - Satarday
ВОСКРЕСЕНЬЕ - Sunday

Regards, Ivan

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Russian has severely deteriorated over the past 30 years, so I have problems reading script, but fare better with printing, so I'm a bit stuck. However, the others have beaten me to the days of the week.

My Raketa confuses people who want a look at it. Great when it stumps the know it alls in the pub!

This message delivered by rolling into a ball and flicking from my knee.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the valuable input guys !

I am quite happy with this find. With its clean white dial it looks almost dressed, but the bezel makes it still a little funky.
The case is in fact painted black, which may not be immediately obvious from the pictures.
It is my 3rd Raketa UFO variant, and I have 2 Poljots in the style as well. Cool watches, and not too small !

(These are all on replacement straps/bracelets)

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,426 Posts
All i can make out is that it appears to be given to somebody called 'V.F. Panchenko'

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
The engraver forgot some letters! Was he drunk? Does the steel back still smell of C2H5OH?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
To be honest, most probably it's just abbreviations - engraver just tried to save some space for a long sign.

PS sorry for occasional double posting!
В.Ф.
Панченко
в че(с)ть 50-ле(т)ия
от к(оллекти)ва дистан-
ции и
мостовиков

The "с" in "че(с)ть" was purely forgotten.
The "т" in "50-ле(т)ия" was forgotten too, and clumsily added afterwards in another writing than the cursive script "m" used otherwise.
Same in "мостовиков" were another non-cursive "т" was used.

Wikipedia - Т (кириллица) / Начертание"

I agree with you in the case of "к(оллекти)ва" which was correctly abbreviated as "к-ва".

Now for the translation:
(To) V. F.
Panchenko
in honour of (his) 50-th birthday
from the collective of
the (railway) division
and
the bridge-builders

Since the engraver has a clean and nice script, he is skilled, he can abbreviate too, but forgot some letters. Hence my conclusion: C2H5OH... or a nice girl passing by at that very moment.

Reactions: Perdendosi
1 - 14 of 14 Posts