WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question between choosing an Omega ploprof vintage in perfect coditions with papers or New Rolex Explorer 2 ? This watches has same prices.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well they don't look anything alike and IMO the ploprof has much more personality. Both are great watches from great brands (although personally I hate Rolex) so to state the obvious you just have to pick the one you like the most.

And of course the upkeep of a vintage watch will often be more difficult and pricey.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
If it a real Ploprof, the choice is simple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is an original Ploprof with Spain papers. Only bezel replacement. Dial(2nd generation), 166.077 case, Tritium hands..all original vintage.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
If it is done by the factory in Bienne, and there are papers to show it, I would take the Omega.

You see, plenty of very good Fakes of Ploprof's out there!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Kind of like comparing apples to oranges... I *love* the new Polar Explorer II and am saving up every dime I can to pick one up. However, with that said, the Ploprof is an amazing watch and is more intriguing than the Explorer II, especially a vintage one.

To reiterate what Aulus said... buy the one you like because you're the one footing the bill and wearing it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not a fan of the Ploprof, and i bought the polar ExpII...

This totally comes down to personal preference though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just had to look up what a Ploprof is. I never heard of it before. I wouldn't even think twice about going with the Rolex. That Ploprof, besides having a hideous name looks terrible. It looks like a poorly cut hunk of metal strapped to your wrist. Way to big and awkward. I don't think a shirt cuff would ever be able to go over that.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
It is an Iconic design. A true Tool watch.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Not a fan of the Ploprof, and i bought the polar ExpII...

This totally comes down to personal preference though.
Same for me but I am not in a position to buy either. I completely get the history of the Ploprof but I don't care for the look so rather than have an awesome historical price that doesn't get worn, I'd go for the Rolex. Now if the choice were a vintage Omega Seamaster 1000, it would be a different story.

Either way, enjoy what you chose.

RS

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Money vise, I imagine the Vintage Omega ia a better investment than a Rolex from 2011?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd go with the Rolex in this instance. Nothing against the Ploprof, and I understand that there's a lot of history behind it...but aesthetically speaking, I never understood the appeal of that odd shaped hunk of steel. That said, however, I'm certain that if it's being used for what it was designed for, it's probably about the best you can get. But if you're looking for versatility, i.e. style AND function...go with the Rolex for sure.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I'd go with the Rolex in this instance. Nothing against the Ploprof, and I understand that there's a lot of history behind it...but aesthetically speaking, I never understood the appeal of that odd shaped hunk of steel. That said, however, I'm certain that if it's being used for what it was designed for, it's probably about the best you can get. But if you're looking for versatility, i.e. style AND function...go with the Rolex for sure.
+1

·
Banned
381 Posts
There's arguably more of a history with the explorer ii... Looks wise, no comparison. Get the explorer ii polar and never look back

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
There are precious few watches uglier than a PloProf.
They're darn near Linde Werdelin ugly in fact.

Reactions: geoffbot

·
Premium Member
7,552 Posts
I just had to look up what a Ploprof is. I never heard of it before. I wouldn't even think twice about going with the Rolex. That Ploprof, besides having a hideous name looks terrible. It looks like a poorly cut hunk of metal strapped to your wrist. Way to big and awkward. I don't think a shirt cuff would ever be able to go over that.
"PloProf" = Plongeur Professionnel, or "professional diver." Doesn't seem so "hideous" when you actually know what it means, does it? ;-)

It is an Iconic design. A true Tool watch.
+1.

One with a deep history (sorry, had to). A true diver's watch icon, if ever there was one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts