WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy is looking at a used SuperOcean from an AD and doesn't know anything about Breitlings. The AD pulled it out of a drawer and said it was 10-12 yrs old. It had an $1800 price tag on it and is in good condition. The pic is terrible I know. The strap is blue rubber and I'm not sure if it's a stock strap or replacement. Can someone ID it and let me know a general value? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Typically this community doesn't talk/give advice about price. However, in my recent searching, $1800 is FAR too much for an old SuperOcean with a Pro Diver II strap especially in which (it seems) is non deployment. Edit to add: I think that's an older X-Plus, given the square on the second hand.

Then again, I am no expert and there are much more qualified people to speak to what that's worth.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Minus the band it looks identical to the A17360 I owned. I can tell you mine was in great condition and went for less than what you quoted, but I'm a private individual not an AD.

Either way very sharp watch and I loved it. I actually want to buy a Superocean again, I've become very fond of Breitlings.​

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
This is a 2002~2006 Superocean. However, the bezel should have painted numerals (there seems to be no black paint here). No big deal, but still. :)
If I'm not mistaken, the strap was not contemporary of this watch -- it came a bit later.

In any case, the watch does not seem mint (bezel scratch?), and could be had for less, as our friends suggested!

Cheers,
Don

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I wonder why this is called a baby ?
with 41mm it should be a normal size ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I agree it is just about identical to the
A17360 you mentioned. The only thing is the numerals on the bezel. They are definitely not painted black on his. Does this mean it could be a fake? I wouldn't think the paint would have rubbed off. Are there similar models with only that difference? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I agree it is just about identical to the
A17360 you mentioned. The only thing is the numerals on the bezel. They are definitely not painted black on his. Does this mean it could be a fake? I wouldn't think the paint would have rubbed off. Are there similar models with only that difference? Thanks!
Could just be that someone replaced the original bezel with a more modern one...? Not 100% on this though as I don't know the bezel varieties.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Or they could have been brushed out (incorrectly) during a service. This happened to my SuperOcean Professional, at an ASS, no less!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Does this mean it could be a fake?
The watch definitely looks original.
However, sometimes the paint just wears and rubs off in some places. Consequently, the owner can choose to restore the paint, or remove it from the whole bezel.
(Never had the problem with my 4 Superoceans, though, but YMMV.)

Newer models -- from 2008 onwards? -- don't have that black paint in the bezel numerals, hence the "modern" looks that BreitLight mentions.
Note that solid gold models (back in the days) never had this paint either.
HTH!
Don

·
Registered
539 Posts
Or they could have been brushed out (incorrectly) during a service. This happened to my SuperOcean Professional, at an ASS, no less!
The exact same thing happened to my SO, along with the second hand changed to the pointed type. No big deal, in fact I prefer the 'fresher' look.
Back to the question though - it looks real, but priced too high.

Ash

1 - 13 of 13 Posts