WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time lurker here.. But need some help from the community deciding between a Liquidmetal Planet Ocean 2500 Limited Edition or a Submariner 16610 (or possibly 14060) with a tritium dial. Excuse the lack of pics, but I can't add them from my work computer.

Current watches in my collection are:

Omega SMP300 2220.80
Halios Laguna (Black Dial)
Seiko SKX009

I have found both watches around the $6,500 to $7,500 mark so not too much difference there. The PO is a beautiful watch and is obviously much more limited and unique than the sub. But would be nice to add a Rolex to my collection and the references I listed fall in my birth-year range.

I plan to have both in my collection someday, but it will potentially be another 3-5 years at least before that is financially possible so the potential value increase is a factor as well.

What are you thoughts??

·
Premium Member
11,507 Posts
I agree. Which one would you prefer. Subs are more common, so if it was my choice I’d go for the PO; but it’s not my choice that matters.

LOoOser in the brotherhood

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Sub for sure. PO is nice but wears very large, even the ones with the 2500 movement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Get the one you feel most passionate about, like you said you will have both in your collection someday. That being said I like the Sub

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
My vote goes to the Liquidmetal Planet Ocean 2500 Limited Edition. The Liquidmetal alloys have the property of being incredibly scratch-resistant, so after years of use, the bezel will retain its legibility.

·
Premium Member
11,507 Posts
My vote goes to the Liquidmetal Planet Ocean 2500 Limited Edition. The Liquidmetal alloys have the property of being incredibly scratch-resistant, so after years of use, the bezel will retain its legibility.
My thoughts were that the 2500 LE will only get more difficult to find in relatively good condition. Not so with Subs. Also, with today’s market you’re paying a premium for a previously owned Sub.

·
Premium Member
15,058 Posts
Easy vote for the LM PO. Like RJ said, they're not going to be any easier to find going forward. And that bezel looks amazing irl.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I’d probably take the PO in this case. Some may find this view sacrilegious, but I prefer the 6 digit Subs. The 5 digits just don’t do it for me.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
PO. You will always be able to find the sub, but that Planet Ocean will be harder and harder to find, and it's a gorgeous watch.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If the end goal is to have both in the collection I would say get the PO 2500 LM now as they don't commonly come up for sale and get the Submariner later.

The one thing to note is that Rolex prices periodically increase and it affects both new and old models, the way they are repositioning their brand in the market might have a significant influence to this, I thought I'd mention it in case it helps in your decision making.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’d go the PO. Get the benefit of good proportions and relatively slimmer case but with the nice liquidmetal goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
16610 because better movement and better value retention

1 - 19 of 19 Posts