WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm weighing up whether to buy a BB58 (black) or an Omega PO 39.5 (black) and can't make up my mind.

I like the modern look and adjustable clasp of the PO but I prefer the slim case and wearing comfort of the BB58. In terms of movement I expect both will perform largely the same. I'm not a diver, so the 600m depth rating of the PO vs the 200m rating of the Tudor is irrelevant to me.

Has anyone had experience with both watches and can offer some guidance?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi

I'm weighing up whether to buy a BB58 (black) or an Omega PO 39.5 (black) and can't make up my mind.

I like the modern look and adjustable clasp of the PO but I prefer the slim case and wearing comfort of the BB58. In terms of movement I expect both will perform largely the same. I'm not a diver, so the 600m depth rating of the PO vs the 200m rating of the Tudor is irrelevant to me.

Thanks in advance.

Seems to me that you should go with the one you like the most aesthetically. One is a shiny, ceramic, modern dive watch and the other is brushed and retro looking. They are very different looks. Also, I am assuming you know that the PO is a superior and more expensive watch. But in your case I would still suggest you go with the one that pleases you visually.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Having seen both in the flesh I definitely prefer the PO with its more sophisticated look. The BB does have a retro feel, but I personally find it to be quite plain and undistinguished. The fact you can go to an AD/grey today and actually buy the PO with a discount thrown in doesn't exactly hurt either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've only owned a black bay, but have seen the PO in the flesh once or twice. I think the key difference here is the BB58 at least can be pretty understated depending on the strap. Unlike the matte PO's of old, the new ones are thick and shiny - definitely "statement pieces." Both are very good looking, but I agree with a previous poster the PO is probably the better watch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I owned the BB58 for a few months and while it was a very nice watch I ultimately didn’t connect with it. I would go with the po. As the poster above said they are thick and shiny so you should definitely try one on. All things considered I feel the po is a nicer watch and if you can get one at a discount it makes the decision that much easier.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi

Thanks in advance.

you posted this in the Omega forum - what did you expect (after reading all the replies)?? :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

post this question in the Rolex/Tudor forum & see what replies you get.
I can only guess. But to be fair you need to post in the R/T forum as well.
Then, let the confusion solidify you!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😲

And, I find it hard to understand - how is it that you do not know what you want? How is it that some internet strangers are going to tell you what to buy?

·
Registered
163 Posts
you posted this in the Omega forum - what did you expect (after reading all the replies)?? :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

Then, let the confusion solidify you!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😲

And, I find it hard to understand - how is it that you do not know what you want? How is it that some internet strangers are going to tell you what to buy?
TS did post in the Rolex forum, and got a few recommendations for the PO. Many of the replies are pretty similar to here. I have a Black Bay GMT which I think it almost perfect, but the 58...... meh. Just don't get the hype.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why not compare the BB with the SMP? I think those are actually more comparable. Having seen both several times and almost pulled the trigger on the BB, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it, I’d think you would compare those.

For the sake of answering the question, I own a sentimentally-valuable SMPc, that is the only reason I don’t have one of the new SMPs in my collection. That white dial with the black bezel is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
i would get the 2500D PO. Granted you give up the ceramic for aluminum on the bezel, the bracelet is a bit older, and the movement is older too (2500D is my favorite Co-Axial movement). The watch strikes a better balance between being modern while not being too shiny, and is much thinner.

Reactions: TechGuyJ

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why not compare the BB with the SMP? I think those are actually more comparable. Having seen both several times and almost pulled the trigger on the BB, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it, I’d think you would compare those.

For the sake of answering the question, I own a sentimentally-valuable SMPc, that is the only reason I don’t have one of the new SMPs in my collection. That white dial with the black bezel is perfect.

As much I want to agree with you, I can't.

Planet Ocean while more expensive is a tad uglier and more of a misfit hence more comparable to BB58 is with its hideous fake rivets, ugly hour hand and terrible clasp. Omega should fire their marketing executives and hire someone from Rolex/Tudor they way they have hyped up an okay watch is a testament to their success. Omega blows up valuable opportunities, they had hyped the NTTD Watch, yet there were no signs at ADs and noone could try the damn thing for months after announcements. They also failed to launch the Speedmaster for its 50th anniversary moon landing.

/Sorry OP to derail your thread.

SMP300 Diver is IMO the most beautiful Diver in Omega's catalogue, has more zest and more recognition than the PO. Now if they made a PO in Ceramic Matte 42mm, then........... 🤤

·
Banned
206 Posts
Hi

Thanks in advance.

Omega for sure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
PO 39.5 - Thick case feels bubbly on wrist, bezel lacks craftmanship, bracelet needs big improvements aesthetic wise.
BB58 - Cheap feel from dial to bracelet clasp, submariner knock-off influences all over the watch, a lot of complaints about defective parts.

Those are my thoughts of cons of the two watches.

I would 100% go with PO. PO has a much better dial and high overall quality. BB58 always felt cheap to me.

I would definitely try to get a handsome discount for PO. Msrp is not worth it imho.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've owned/own both and found the 58 a little underwhelming after a month or so. It's a nice watch, but not in the same league as the PO in my opinion. Theres a lot of misinformation on here about the 39.5mm PO's thickness, but in reality it's thinner than the first gen and it wears just fine. Like @essecll said above, buy it at a discount and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you posted this in the Omega forum - what did you expect (after reading all the replies)?? :unsure:

Then, let the confusion solidify you!!

I did post on the RT forum and interestingly the PO was fairly popular!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The SMP is too big for my 6.5 inch wrist. If they'd made the SMP in 40mm with lug to lug if

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PO 39.5 - Thick case feels bubbly on wrist, bezel lacks craftmanship, bracelet needs big improvements aesthetic wise.
BB58 - Cheap feel from dial to bracelet clasp, submariner knock-off influences all over the watch, a lot of complaints about defective parts.

Those are my thoughts of cons of the two watches.

I would 100% go with PO. PO has a much better dial and high overall quality. BB58 always felt cheap to me.

I would definitely try to get a handsome discount for PO. Msrp is not worth it imho.
I was offered 25% discount right off the bat for the PO. I can probably squeeze another 5%. No discount on the BB58 unfortunately, so the delta between them price wise is not that big.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've owned/own both and found the 58 a little underwhelming after a month or so. It's a nice watch, but not in the same league as the PO in my opinion. Theres a lot of misinformation on here about the 39.5mm PO's thickness, but in reality it's thinner than the first gen and it wears just fine. Like @essecll said above, buy it at a discount and you can't go wrong.
How do you find the PO 39.5 wears under a shirt cuff? As someone that wears a suit every day, that's an important consideration for me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
How do you find the PO 39.5 wears under a shirt cuff? As someone that wears a suit every day, that's an important consideration for me.

No issues at all

·
Registered
784 Posts
Two very different dive watches. Polar opposites even.

I like Tudor's Black Bay line and the retro 50's Submariner flair it has. But in this comparison I just think the Planet Ocean in the flesh feels like a different league compared to the Black Bay. But that is just my opinion. And truth be told I have not had time with the BB58 and my experiences are only with the regular Black Bay. I think it is most important to find what style you prefer out of the two.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts