WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received estimate from Omega for replacing the crown that fell off, they've had the watch a couple of weeks and decide that it needs a full service. If the crown had come off and the time was affected then maybe, but it was still running perfectly so assumed it was just a question of putting it back on and off you go. Are they trying it on, it was a couple of months out of warranty and they still say it's a £300.00GB job?

Is this common? I'm not impressed because I did say that it wasn't very well fitted in the first place with the date wheel taking several turns for it to move, but I didn't think much of it at the time when new. I know it will come back as new, but it left me as new even after 3 years of wear.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
well...you answered my question a week back when i posted a query on how much Omega charges for crown replacement. i'll probably find a private watchmaker since mine too is out of warranty, not in need of service for a few years and is running perfectly. I think it is just SOP for Omega to do a full service on any watch sent in because they are giving a 2 yr warranty on the work so they probably want to cover their bases. I'm not sure whether your 300pound charge was much more then the standard full service fee?

Hopefully-a private watchmaker will be able to do the simple repair for a more reasonable price and in 3-4 yrs I can decide if I want Omega to do the full service.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Was the crown off and the tube open to the elements for any length of time? If not and the watch had no other issues, the crown could be replaced and you should be fine. I would ask why they are insisting on a full service. Omega crowns are typically not very expensive....

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The crown was off and tube still sticking out, but the crown fitted back on so wasn't open to elements at all. Didn't turn but it stayed on and couldn't adjust anything. Thought it was a £70 job to put crown back on. And it still ran till I took watch back for repair 2 days later. It's like being held to ransom though isn't it? If I don't pay 300 it doesn't come back. Said it was taken apart for evaluation, and needs full service? It works fine, Nothing wrong with it, I know that for a fact. I was told it would be looked on favourably because it was only just out of warranty. £300 is price for full service DaBaeker which is what they recommend. Despite Omega saying PO is 5-10 years first service? Stung, probably.....

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
well-the bright side is you'll buy yourself another 2yrs of warranty and theoretically not have to worry about it for another 7yrs. I will most likely end up paying $150-$200[usd] and I'll still have to have the PO serviced fully in 3-4yrs(max)*

*this ain't no cheap hobby.;-)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well-the bright side is you'll buy yourself another 2yrs of warranty and theoretically not have to worry about it for another 7yrs. I will most likely end up paying $150-$200[usd] and I'll still have to have the PO serviced fully in 3-4yrs(max)
True, but I still feel they are not treating me as they could have done, and just say it needs a full service because it's easier for them.... It's made me question selling it now when it comes back and maybe use the funds for the elusive Sub I've always wanted. My Seamaster Quartz is now 15 odd years old and has never been a problem... There's a lot to be said for Quartz

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would just simply demand my watch back. If they will not replace the crown/stem, you can easily do it yourself or have a local watchmaker handle it (especially if the stem broke or something like that).

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
It's like being held to ransom though isn't it? If I don't pay 300 it doesn't come back. Said it was taken apart for evaluation, and needs full service?
Hang on, they are saying they won't give it back to you, so you are now forced to submit to the service? That's not right - if you brought it in for an estimate, you should be able to decline the estimate and get the watch back the way you gave it to them at no cost to you. Is the watch at an Omega service center, or it this some retailer with a watchmaker on staff? Something is certainly wrong here if I've read your post correctly.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Jeweller I bought from who sent to Omega, It basically offers you no options. If they've now taken it apart and say it needs a new seal, new this etc... Them putting it back together and sending it back after it's been taken apart will cause me more problems than I started with won't it, If I don't let them do it now? So I'm kind of stuffed

And have to wait a further 2 months for the privilege

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Well something is certainly not right with this scenario, as I have sent watches into Omega/Swatch for service estimates (watches that require factory servicing like X-33, or Blancpain, which they won't sell me parts for) and I was never held hostage like this before. I was given a quote, and could accept or decline it, and if I declined it, the watch came back in the same condition as when I sent it. I was never told that since the watch had been talken apart (in this case I assume that means the movement removed from the case) that I had to proceed with the service. That's like taking you car in for an estimate to have the brakes done and they tell you that they disassembled the engine and you have to pay for a rebuild before they give the car back.

You have the right to refuse their estimate and get your watch back, plain and simple. You can then take it to any independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account, who can order a new crown and whatever else the watch needs to get it back to being water resistant again. A crown is not much - say $40 tops, and seals are $3 each.

My gut feel is that your store is getting in the way of things being done properly, and you should get the repair number from the quote and call Omega with it directly. I very much believe that you will find it's not Omega who is pushing this, and they might be interested to know the dealer is doing this.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure you're right. They listed a load of things to me that needed doing which I can't believe for one minute or the watch wouldn't be performing as well as it was.

The fact they are now quoting seals and other things that I'd never even heard of, will now make me think if they did put it back together again and I just got the crown put on somewhere else, (which was also fine, but they say it needs a new one, (new buttons) As far as I could tell the thread was fine so why they need a new one, no idea.), then I can see something not being put back right and having a new problem with the movement, and then it would probably end up going back to Omega again. That's why I think it's best to just leave it there now, but I'm not best pleased because I think they could have made a gesture as it was only just out of warranty and didn't need a full service.

·
Registered
14,650 Posts
It seems odd that they would pull the watch apart without your consent when all you wanted was the crown replaced.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems odd that they would pull the watch apart without your consent when all you wanted was the crown replaced.
They say that sometimes you can just put it back on, but sometimes it can affect the movement, which in my opinion would have affected the performance until I took it back. It hadn't. So basically they would have to look inside to see. I know I'm being conned because that could have been put back on without being opened, but I knew they were going to say it. They've had it nearly a month, plenty of time to see that it was still running OK.

Like I say, If anyone is interested in buying a perfectly working PO that will now have a 2 year warranty after an un-needed service, PM me. I'm not happy with Omega's tactics

·
Registered
41 Posts
They say that sometimes you can just put it back on, but sometimes it can affect the movement, which in my opinion would have affected the performance until I took it back. It hadn't. So basically they would have to look inside to see. I know I'm being conned because that could have been put back on without being opened, but I knew they were going to say it. They've had it nearly a month, plenty of time to see that it was still running OK.

Like I say, If anyone is interested in buying a perfectly working PO that will now have a 2 year warranty after an un-needed service, PM me. I'm not happy with Omega's tactics
Have you even confirmed that it is, in fact, Omega's tactics that are the issue here? It seems the dealer may be the problem in this scenario. Have you spoken with Omega directly?

·
Registered
877 Posts
When i sent my PO in for service they gave me a no obligation quote for full service. I could have asked for it back and all i would have paid is the shipping charge. At least that's what they told me. I think you'll be able to get it back without paying for service if you don't want. I'm sure they'll put it back together and not just ship it back to you with the parts all piled up in the case and the back on loose.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But is it worth the risk now, If I did sell on it will have a 2 year warranty, and it will look as new...?

It's just hassle, and out of interest, how much do the jewellers stand to make out of the £300? Omega quote £300 for full service, and so does the jewellers, what's their cut, do we know?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts