WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, i need some help to identify this chronograph..i've searched on the www but all seems to be almoust like this...but i didn't find one exactly like this:think:
If you have some info...shoot :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Reminds me of the LePhare movements (somewhat similar). Should be a 30 minute repeater. Can you show us a picture of the dial (although there is most like no brand name on it)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the dial, don't pay attention about the dirt and hands...the important thing is that has no hairllines, no cracks...
Will receive also a minute and hour hand...and a new glass...

Still looking a similar machine but nothing...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Keep in mind that back in this era, a lot of chronographs were made as comission pieces, and basically involved an independent watchmaker starting with a finished (or mostly finished) pocket watch movement (made by his apprentices, typically), to which he'd add the chronograph pieces. As chronographs grew in popularity, some small shops began to specialize in that exclusively; they would get their base pocket-watches from somewhere else, and use a pre-designed "kit" of chronograph parts. I believe it was even possible to "buy" just the (mostly) finished chronograph parts, which could then be added to pretty much any suitable 3/4 plate movement.

Point being that it isn't always easy to trace the lineage of these; there may have been three or four different watchmakers involved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answer Rob, in my "madness" i was thinking this is a common mechanism...and can be easely identify...even without any name on the dial..
Seems to be "almoust" the same with few of them...but nothing.
At the begining of my search, i was thinking this is omega cal 39 lecoultre like this below:

still searching :)

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
After a proper cleaning and with a new set of hands this might just look great... I'd sure like to see how it will look after restoration:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will put the photos after the cleaning ..
It will look great for sure :), but still nothing about the machine ...or the producer
Maybe will remain a sort of "enigma" ( not the encripting machine from ww2 ) :)))

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,899 Posts
As pointed out by eri231 already, it is definitely a movement made by (or at least for) Universal Geneve, the Cal. 60. You will find a picture here, halfway down the page:

Uhrwerkshersteller "U"

The wristwatch chronographs for Universal were all made by Martel Watch Co. but this may predate their existence (UG were set up in Le Locle in 1894, moved to Geneve in 1917; Martel were set up in 1911).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Looks just great now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts