WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this would be easier to find, but having some trouble finding cases for a pocket watch project. I bought a Eta 6497, thought it was a good deal, now looking to make a pocket watch from it.

I thought I might turn a case on a lathe at work, but wasn't sure what I would do about attaching hinges for a lid, or case back? So then I thought the next best thinking was to sorce a case. Is the best source to refinish an old case, maybe from a cheap non-working watch?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
You can find excellent condition pocket watches with 6497 variant movements on eBay. If you're patient, you'll spend between $15-50.

Then swap your movement and you're good to go. Then use the one you removed to practice servicing it.

-s-

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can find excellent condition pocket watches with 6497 variant movements on eBay. If you're patient, you'll spend between $15-50.

Then swap your movement and you're good to go. Then use the one you removed to practice servicing it.

-s-
I was going to look on ebay. Any suggestions as what to enter in the search box other than the obvious 6497?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I was going to look on ebay. Any suggestions as what to enter in the search box other than the obvious 6497?
pocket watch, pocketwatch works for me. You probably want to exclude quartz, new, and sellers in China.

Most won't be described as having 6497, or at least if they do, the price goes up. Look for ones where you can find the picture and see that it is a 6497.

-s-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts