WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Wasn't debating that; there was shock protection back in the 1800's after all. You'll note that I rather carefully used the word "Commercial". Brun may have had the first patent, but how many watches made use of that patent?

Incidentally, while Incabloc (as a trademark) was registered in 1933, the patent behind the technology (as far as I can tell) was registered in 1929 by Fritz Marti.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Wasn't debating that; there was shock protection back in the 1800's after all. You'll note that I rather carefully used the word "Commercial". Brun may have had the first patent, but how many watches made use of that patent?

Incidentally, while Incabloc (as a trademark) was registered in 1933, the patent behind the technology (as far as I can tell) was registered in 1929 by Fritz Marti.
Mmm - Interesting, I seem to remember others and yourself "debating"(strongly) in my thread on John Harwood the 'Truth behind the Myth' that L Leroy's 4 or maxm 6 pcs of automatic wristwatch did constitute his invention as 'the first' automatic wristwatch and not Harwood.

Anyway, back on topic
Shock protection - Pare-chute was invented by Breguet in 1790.
but how many watches made use of that patent?]
a LOT!!
Not only did Depollier advertise and sell all its watches with this patent, they also licensed it to Paul 'DITISHEIM' - who made and sold many watches with this patent which was applied in 1921 and granted June 1922.

I have three adverts where Depollier strongly emphasizes "A Device that will Revolutionize an Industry'

Here is one in COLOUR from 1923 - Note in colour - not a cheap advert: (I own this advert)

Here is another also in colour - showing the features of their anti-shock system - look familiar?

And a sales pamphlet - sorry do not know the date

NOW - DITISHEIM watch with acknowledged Brun/Depollier patent (borrowed of internet)

And the Patent:

As far as MY 1921 wristwatch with shock-protection is concerned - I now know it was made by ELECTA - GALLET - how many were made/sold. No I do not know that yet, but now I know the movement is a beautiful ELECTA that is my next research.

Based on above, I am fairly confident in my original statement that other 'shock-protection' systems were in use PRIOR to 'Incabloc' in 1933

Regards
adam
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
DITISHEIM WATCH and DEPOLLIER Pamphlet - Chronomania - Antichoc en casque gaulois, Depollier et Paul Ditisheim

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Mmm - Interesting, I seem to remember others and yourself "debating"(strongly) in my thread on John Harwood the 'Truth behind the Myth' that L Leroy's 4 or maxm 6 pcs of automatic wristwatch did constitute his invention as 'the first' automatic wristwatch and not Harwood.
Yes, which is why the "First" shock protection award goes to Breguet. First patent goes to Brun. First commercial shock protection company goes to Incabloc.

It's interesting that Brun filed in the U.S. first, and didn't submit a Swiss patent registration for several years; that suggests to me that there was a bit of a "competition" in the Swiss world for perfection of a comercially viable shock protection system. It's also interesting that in many respects, the Incabloc system bears a stronger resemblance to Brun's patent then to Marti's own patent. I wonder if there was a meeting of minds there?

Based on above, I am fairly confident in my original statement that other 'shock-protection' systems were in use PRIOR to 'Incabloc' in 1933
Glad you're confident, considering that you're the only one that seemed to have any doubt about it in the first place...

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
I guess that is because it was being used in America by Depollier, so they filed in both US and Canada where the watches were being distributed.

We agree Breguet was the first to design / INVENT it, but Depollier was first to commercially market it (not Incabloc) as Depollier were selling it BOTH in their watches and under license to DITISHEIM timepices some 11 yrs PRIOR to Incabloc!!
Come on - How can you say 'Incabloc was first "commercially" - its just not the case.

That puts the first to commercially manufacture and sell.
And no I had no doubt - I had the facts. And as they say 'facts' speak louder than 'words'

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
As I said, there were many many companies that sought to commercialize shock protection in response to the wristwatch induced increase in balance staff damage. Benrus filed their patent in 1927; Wyler in 1929. Pithy dug up one from the turn of the century. The patent offices are littered with variations of the technology. Few of these systems (including depollier) saw a lot of use (which may have had as much to do with the depression and war). Incabloc was the first commerically successful shock protection system. Its not unlike how the GP350 is considered the first "true" quartz watch; they weren't the first to do it, but they were the first to do it right, and all quartz watches that came after it were based on it, not the Beta 21.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts