WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shall call them Fancy, Advert (usually for the retailer) and Size, which fits a particular size of winder. I show one of each, both sides.
I am interested to know how the number on the key relates to the size of the winder on the watch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
At least with American keys, it's common to see them with holes in the side of the shank. Supposedly this was to prevent the build-up of "crud" in the key, although I've noticed that it seems to really just make the key more likely to split :)

There's also the ever-popular(and very handy) bench key. The female type for keywind watches are actually somewhat more difficult to find than the male type(for conventional American stemwind watches) in my experience, although I have both. I use my bench keys(of both varieties) so much that they are in the top right drawer of my bench-i.e. the easiest drawer for me to access.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
The number is the size ..as smaler the number as bigger the matching winder :). The standart is from 00 until 12 (= 0,95 - 2,0 mm).

Kind regards Silke
The modern reproduction keys(usually from India) are often sold in a set with sizes 00 to 12 on a ring. Most American watches take a #4 or #5(sometimes a #3 will work). I know quite a few collectors who have dozens of 00-#2 and #6-12, but have a hard time finding a key that fits when they need it :)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
For working its useable to own a adjustable one after the John S Birch patent ( okt. 1877 / US 7911).I need a few seconds to start winding :). I'm not sure if this is a female bench key?

here my decorative silver one:

Schlüssel.jpg

Of course for waearing it makes sence tio search a matching one and if possible out of the same aera as the watch.

Kind regards Silke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts