WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a friend who is turning 90 this year and wants to hand this pocket watch (in a very sweet sterling silver engraved case…) on to her granddaughter. The watch itself was my friend's mother's. But it's missing both the stem and bow. It's unmarked and I don't know much about pocket watches. I'd really like to source parts for it – my watchmaker will do the work, but not the research to source parts – and so I am turning to the assembled experts out there to suggest whose movement it was and/or where to find a stem, button and bow. It measures around 30mm, so a 13''' or 13 1/2'''.

Grateful for any help you can offer.

_MDH5908.jpg _MDH5909.jpg

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I fear its nearly impossible to find the maker. The movement is a typical swiss one og the end of the 19. century. It is probably a pin set one. The winding stems usually quite simular. If your watchmaker has a old storage you might find one with try and error and adjustment of the length. This is my system and it works often even if my watchmaker "wash my head" for this statement.

Really a nice dial.I whish you luck
Silke

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, I don't really expect to find the maker, but perhaps some way forward to help her. My watchmaker has a lot of parts but doesn't really want to look, as there is clearly not much money in it for him.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
If you regulary in contact with him may be he intrust you his box with the old pw stems until you have found the right one. Am I right with the pin set ? Without a view on the dial side I can't see it. A bow should be in his basic equipment and this should match with the case.

Regards Silke

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Hartmut

Well, that looks pretty close. Pulled off the dial and these are the keyless works. The base plate measures 30.81 mm, so it's 13 1/2'''. Sorry, I have no idea about PWs, can you guess at the chances that the stem for smaller calibre (there is an FHF 11.75''' on ebay, for instance) might fit this larger calibre? Sorry to ask such a dopey sounding question, I simply have no resource to help me sort this out. Can't seem to see anything in Bestfit, for example.

_MDH5951.jpg

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
Well, fleabay can be useful sometimes in that department. I just had a look for "FHF 13" and came up with a whole load of entries. Many for other parts but some with winding stems (although some of those for wrist watches). Among the lot, there was this guy who claims to have a whole load for may different watch movements (from the entries, I take it that these things are semi-generic, though I might be wrong on that):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/eine-AUFZUG...=item3d28c6f8b6:g:bAkAAOSwxKtYA2oq:rk:58:pf:0

Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic! You are so helpful. I have ordered one from the ebay.de seller and hopefully this will begin the journey of restoration. Best wishes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts