WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Pocket Watch - Soldiers watch 781 Swiss made

15K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Sparks 
#1 ·
The watch is not working.
It is very basic and looks like some standard soldier equipment.
Only one hand, the hour hand.
It is marked 'SOLDIERS WATCH Swiss Made 781'
Serial no: 23308
Ingraved: ARGENTAN

My guess is that it is a WWII watch and the engraving is about the Battle of Argentan 1944.

Does anyone know the history of such a pocket watch? :)

It was bought at the souq in Muscat, USD 40.

Best regards
Sparks

See less See more
#2 ·
The watch is considerably older than WWII. it looks like a turn of the 20th century Swiss/French watch. Argentan is probably a case material like Silveroid.

#3 · (Edited)
I think it is missing some hands (minute definitly, second possibly).
If somebody need to keep time, it is a soldier. From the General down!
It has a very simple movement, no shock proofing.

Can you please post a better pic of the dial, also a pic of the inscription "Argentan"?

Argentan sounds like a Silver-looking alloy , (Argent = Silver in French)

(Edit: Ray! You are as quick as a flash!)

I doubt the Americans would choose a pocket watch like this, would they not choose to engrave an A-11 instead?

#4 · (Edited)
It's "Roskopf" movement inside.Try "search" option on the forum,we've had thread about "Roskopf" movements lately.

It should be huge and havy watch,with a diameter of the movement about 45 mm.

And no,the word "argentan" on the case has no connection with the battle-got couple of pw's with argentan case.

#8 ·
You wouldn't be the first one.

We've all got stories of paying too much for watches. Sometimes on purpose for specific reasons, sometimes not.

#10 · (Edited)
strange has been my day, i was sifting through some things and i found a watch i was given on my 21st birthday by an uninvited guest ?!? it reads on face; soldiers watch A1 swiss made 781 inside ; 7 jewels 5zn it keeps amazing time and has a smoother action than any modern watch i own !
i will post pictures asap but does anyone know anything about it is 781 a series are the amount of jewels significant or relevant to a period ??? i have no idea what so ever but due to my curiouse state of mind would love to know cheers all ;)

Attachments

#13 ·
Hi Andrew,

It looks like a modern wristwatch movement put inside a pocket-watch case.

7 jewels is the number of jewel-bearings (usually rubies) inside the watch-movement that keep the watch running smoothly. Number of jewels doesn't indicate age or era, it indicates value. 7 jewel watches were considered the lowest level of quality watches. From there you had 9, 11, 15, 17, 19, 21 and 23 jewel watches. Some really advanced pocket watches with extra features had 25 or even more jewels, but for a basic, time-only pocket watch, 23 is really the absolute max, and some people might consider that overkill.

#15 ·
Please download images and we can say something... but it is uncommon for watches of this vintage to be faked.

#18 ·
I have one of these, but it is a skeletal crystal globe pocket watch. It has low grade 17 jewel Chinese movement.

I bought it for too much money at the Luxor gift shop in Las Vegas, NV.
...live and learn I guess.
They sell real cheap on eBay...

#20 · (Edited)
Hi Benny

Thats fine :)
I myself has turned to 18s Waltham pocket watches. They are so beautiful, relatively affordable and it is still possible to make them running strong.
Have been away from the board a couple of years, but think I will post about my Waltham Riverside.

Rgds
Sparks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.