WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is a fairly small budget but I'm getting married next year and for my groomsmen, I'm going to buy them each a gift that I think they would most appreciate. I have a friend who isn't a WIS (I don't understand...he owns a nice Citizen but always wears his Fossil...) but is definitely the type of guy who would love to own a pocket watch for daily use. My budget range is around $100 USD and I'd like to get him something that will at least last a while. He had an automatic years ago that died after a couple years.

My preference would be to get something hand-wound and barring that, a quartz. I suspect an automatic in this price range would not last. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a fairly classic look.

·
Banned
82 Posts
My stepson was married last year and decided to give all of the groomsmen a pocket watch. I was able to obtain several running 12-size 15-jewel Elgin and Waltham pocket watches for $60-75 each. The problem is servicing. They should be serviced before daily use and that is going to run more than $100 by itself.

·
Banned
82 Posts
You are on the right track, but I would keep looking. The case is very worn and the crystal is missing. These mid grade watches are not very interesting to collectors, so they can be had for very low prices. The quality, however, is very good and they make fine daily carry watches. Take a look at some of the 12-size watches made by Elgin or Waltham in the teens and twenties. Many have very attractive art deco cases that are still in good condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts