WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

in perusing the bay I've run across a few watches which are obviously old(er) pocket watches recased in custom cased for the wrist. I've seen a few JLC's that looked interesting, one was a repeater. Given I'll likely never be able to afford a modern repeater, what is everyone's opinion on these pieces?

Are there things to be on the lookout for? Am I likely to be buying a fake? Do you just think they're a dumb idea?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
These old guys are from the 1950s so the concept is not new. With the trend to wear massive wristwatches I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I would love to find a source for a case and crown so I could build my own pocket watch re-cased to a wristwatch. I love these old Illinois movements!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Herr Benzinger can do it for you. That would be a suitable choice for a one-off solution. Although if you go down this path, you might end up in a place totally unexpected. Jochen has a way of taunting you with "extras". You can read a typical story here. My story was very similar. I started by wanting a very basic watch but what I ended up with, was well exceptional. And more expensive than I started out anticipating but well worth it.

Grieb & Benzinger team together to do this with some very noteworthy vintage movements. Grieb will restore and Benzinger will elaborate. But the work they do is not inexpensive.

Also, you can have cases custom built to specification. However a minimum order is probablly at least 500 pieces if not 1000. That is the hard one to get around. There are places to get custom dials as well. A one-off will be expensive, a run of them even more expensive although per piece prices start to get reasonable.

With a modern CNC process, there has got to be job sites around that if you give them a program specification they can run the "job" for a reasonable price. I haven't gotten this far down the road--yet.

Believe me, I've looked at some older pocket watch movements and just died for lack of resources to take advantage of this very same thought.

-T

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the one's I'm seeing are already recased by a guy on the bay...but that benzinger looks amazing. And way out of my price range...lol.

I'm not sure I'll grab one as they are large, but having a minute repeater would be so sweet.

Ah well, another watch to add to the ever-expanding list.

G

·
Points of contact in Germany could be:

Benzinger
Bethge
Ickler
Fricker
Reister & Nittel RP Uhrgehäuse GmbH
Karl Habmann GmbH

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike!

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
In case anyone is interested, Orient watch from Japan makes an automatic pocket style watch with power reserve indicator:

Longislandwatch.com sells it for US$289.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

Benzinger
Bethge
Ickler
Fricker
Karl Habmann GmbH
Thanks for the info Mike, but unfortunately I don't think any of these guys will make just one custom wristwatch case for a pocket watch movement and if they would it may cost you your first born child. :)

To me the whole point of this project/dream would be to pick up a well made nice little piece of horological history by means of a $50 antique pocket watch and maybe spend a few hundred bucks putting said watch's movement in a wristwatch case. 50% of this projects allure is the bargain basement price....JMHO....;-)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah dude that leCoultre repeater was on my radar...I figure it's the only way I'll ever afford a repeater short of winning the lottery or selling drugs in my spare time.lol.

Should have used thesearch function...maybe the mods can merge our threads?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I will keep you posted but it's lookin' pretty bleak right now. I may contact the guy from Australia that is selling them on Ebay and ask him where he's getting his cases. Even though they have plastic crystals, if the price is right, it may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
In case anyone is interested, Orient watch from Japan makes an automatic pocket style watch with power reserve indicator:

Longislandwatch.com sells it for US$289.
I just bought this from my local AD last week! It's not an automatic. It's manual wind but that's also obvious from the fact that it has a power reserve indicator,which is what i like about it as there aren't many pocket watches with that feature. However it's only 40mm..good cos it fits into my jeans coin pocket nicely; not so good cos it's tiny.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Benzinger
Bethge
Ickler
Fricker
Karl Habmann GmbH

Very useful. Thanks!

Are there Swiss companies as well or do they keep their monopoly all to themselves? Like I know there are Swiss companies that specialize in hands. They have to have an entire catalog of product that they keep in stock such that you can buy a dozen or so pieces.

-T

1 - 16 of 16 Posts